Celebrating HERstory Month and the Women Who Inspire Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

March marks “Women’s History Month,” a time to celebrate the women of the world who have not only changed our lives, but touched our souls. While it may be said that behind every great man is a great woman, we at Her Campus Emerson believe that behind every great woman is another great woman, and have decided to share with you the most important females in our lives. Today, we would like to thank those who have inspired us, and continue to inspire us every day, in hopes you will do the same.

“Hands down, my mother is the most important woman in my life. She came to America from Mexico when she was eight years old. Since then, she has led her life with a fulfilling sense of appreciation, determination, and service for others. Growing up, she faced many difficulties that most first generation immigrants experience, but she always pushed through. Because of this, my mom has been a living example for me to always follow my dreams. She now works with pregnant teens, many of whom face challenges and obstacles for a promising future. She is a source of support and love for them, and pushes them to exceed expectations. I hope to be an inspiration to others in the way my mom has been an inspiration to me.”
Marissa Ericson // Junior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“The most important woman in my life is my best friend, Ashley. She has been my best friend since I was eight years old and, as a result, I cannot imagine my life without her. She knows more about me than anyone else. She has seen me change and develop for over a decade. She has always been there for me, even when it has been inconvenient for her. In short, there is no me without her.”
Michelle King // Sophomore // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“My mother was, and will forever be, the most important woman in my life. She passed away from breast cancer when I was twelve, but in those twelve years she taught me more about life than anyone will ever teach me in the next twenty. She smiled throughout the duration of her chemotherapy treatments, constantly laughing with my sister and I, swirling us around and waltzing with us in our living room. She never let her disease defeat her, and even though she passed away, I refuse to say she lost the battle. For eight years, she fought cancer and all with a positive attitude. Every time I feel like I’m in over my head, or I let myself get stressed, I close my eyes and think of my mother. Life’s too short and precious to sweat the small things. She knew that, and she inspires me to live my life to the fullest every day.”
Lauren Landry // Senior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“My big sister, Deanna, is, and will always be, the most important woman in my life. She’s 29 years old–more than seven years older than me–but our ages make no difference in our relationship. She’s the biggest pillar of support in my life, and she always knows what’s right for me, even if I don’t know it. I haven’t gotten to see her too much lately because she moved pretty far away, but when we talk on the phone, it feels like she never left.”
Shana Wickett // Senior// Print & Multimedia Journalism

“My mother is absolutely the most important woman in my life. She literally mopped floors to put me through a K-12 private Montessori School that would normally cost us a fortune. Now, I’ve graduated from the school with honors, and she is an assistant teacher in my old kindergarten class. We’re both doing what we love, so it paid off for both of us!”
Lorena Mora // Junior // Writing for Film & TV

“My mom is by far the most important woman in my life. Throughout my entire life, she has taught me by example, proving that women can do anything–and they do it in heels! She is also one of my best friends, and I’d prefer to hang out with her more than anyone my own age. From traveling the world to having a girls’ night in, I always know I’m going to have a fun, hilarious time when my mom’s around, and I respect her more than she will ever know.”
Nikki Fig // Senior // Broadcast Journalism

Who’s the most important woman in your life? Comment, or tell us on Twitter: @HCEmerson.

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.