Campus Cutie Sarah Stein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Name: Sarah Michelle Stein

Major and minors: Marketing Major, Business Studies Minor

Hometown: Livingston, NJ

Grade level: Junior, technically first semester Senior 

Horoscope sign: ScorpioWhy Emerson? I have always wanted to study Marketing and Communications in college. When I was researching the best programs, Emerson kept on coming up as an option. I came to Boston to visit and I fell in love with it! I loved all of the opportunities that students had to engage with their major inside and outside of the classroom. I think the best way to learn is by doing, and the Marketing program at Emerson is very hands-on and mimics real world experiences. What has been your favorite class at Emerson and why? My favorite class was probably Communications, Politics, and Law taught by Mike Brown. I took this class because I lived with 3 journalism majors that semester and they were all in Mike Brown classes. He is notorious for teaching the most difficult classes and I wanted to challenge myself. It started out rough, and I mean really rough, but I ended up with an A and I learned so much about how to study, how to make the most of my time in class, and about almost every major court case our legal system has seen. What else are you involved with on campus? Ok, here we go: I’m the president of Alpha Epsilon Phi, the Vice President of PRSSA, Director of Marketing and Promotions for The Emerson Channel, I work in Student Life, the Universal Pictures Campus Representative, and the NBCUniversal Ambassador. 

What is is like being the NBCUniversal rep for our campus? I love it! For me, its a huge honor and responsibility to represent NBCUniversal at Emerson. I love that I am still able to be involved with my past internships even though I can’t physically be in New York City. I would really love to see more Emerson students interning at NBCUniversal in the future. Why do you think programs like NBCUniversal on campus are important? I think this program is really important for Emerson students to know that they are one of eleven campuses across the country that has a campus ambassador. Most major colleges do not have an ambassador, and having one means that NBCUniversal values the talent that Emerson has to offer. I hope it encourages more students to apply for internships there – it’s a truly inspiring and enlightening environment to work in and grow as a young professional. 

What is the most important thing you have learned from being a leader, either as the president of AEPhi or in any of your other endeavors? The most important things I have learned from being a leader at Emerson are 1) Pick your battles, not everything is worth stressing out over, 2) Try to keep things fun! This is especially important in my role as president of Alpha Epsilon Phi. I want everything we do to be meaningful but also enjoyable, and 3) Treat people with the kindness and respect they deserve. My parents always told me that “You catch more bees with honey”. I don’t like honey, but I like being nice to people! What is the best opportunity Emerson has given you? The best opportunity Emerson has given me is the opportunity to learn who I am, what I like, what I excel at, and what I want to do with the opportunities life has given me. We are all so fortunate to attend an institution like Emerson where the professors are leaders in their fields, the students motivate each other, and opportunities are bountiful. Believe me, I complain about petty things (like the slow-ness of the Walker elevators, yawn!) as much as the next person, but we are #blessed to go to Emerson, or college in general. And, of course, my internships at NBCUniversal. The fact that I had the confidence to apply to an internship at my dream company as a freshman, and that I got it, I definitely attribute to my time at Emerson. 

Favorite Quote: “Dreams Don’t Work Unless You Do” 

Favorite movie: ANY Rom-Com, I’m the Rom-Com queen. But really anything that has Judd Apatow’s name on it

Favorite color: Black and White, classic combo

Favorite TV show: Sex and the City, with everything in my Netflix queue as a close second 

Favorite food: Is wine a food? Ok but actually, sushi and chocolate, not together though, gross! 

Soup or salad: Salad, my roommate and I eat about 1 bag of kale a day

Straight or curly: Straight, middle-part always

Uggs or Hunters: I don’t discriminate against shoes; shoes are all created equal in my eyes 

Christmas or Hanukkah: Hanukkah! But I am one Jew who loves Christmas! 

Do you have any fun holiday plans? Yes! I am spending Hanukkah with my grandma and family in Florida. And for Christmas I will join my people at the movies, promptly followed by Chinese food. And its my first New Year’s Eve being 21, so I see many a drunken Uber in my future. Sorry, Mom! 

What are you most excited about for next semester? Honestly, I’m excited to only have 2 days of classes. Because that means many a naptime is in my future, and that’s plenty to be excited about. 

Emerson contributor