Best Items at Trader Joe’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When it comes to growing up, one of the trickiest things to get used to is grocery shopping on your own. We, as college students and adults, must figure out where to shop, what to buy, what is considered overpriced and so much more. While Trader Joe’s may not be the cheapest of places to go, it is relatively affordable and has plenty of prepared meals for the college student who is not in the mood to cook a five-course dinner. Here are some of my favorites that I have come across (thus far).

1. Microwavable Mac & Cheese

When I first came to college, I was very excited about my easy mac bowl. It claimed to make a box of mac & cheese in three minutes. What I didn’t realize was that it probably wasn’t the most healthful of choices to eat an entire box of mac & cheese, which is what I was doing since I had already stocked up on numerous boxes of Kraft. With Trader Joe’s, I get individual portions and white cheddar for a “healthier” choice and a different flavor.

2. Paneer Tikka Masala

One of the great things about Trader Joe’s is that it has a seemingly endless supply of microwavable meals. This option is a deviation from the typical microwave pizza. This Indian style classic is perfect for those days where you are feeling a little exotic and want to give your taste buds a change. And, let me tell you, it is definitely a good option when it come to microwavable meals. 

3. Speculoos Cookie Butter

This delectable treat is probably one of the more unique items that can be found at your local Trader Joe’s. It makes anything that you spread it on taste like, well, a cookie! When I have had this item in the past, I tended to put it on toast. But because toasters are not allowed in the dorm, you have to be a little more creative. I purchased salt-free rice cakes and when I spread the butter on, it gives me a satisfying crunch along with the cookie flavor I love without as many calories.

4. Soyaki Sauce

One day, they were sampling this sauce with some rice and chicken, and I was hooked. This sauce is perfect for your typical dorm room stir-fry. You can throw in some brown rice, broccoli, spinach, carrots, etc and top it off with some Soyaki Sauce and you have got yourself dinner.

5. Soft-Baked Snicker Doodles

This is probably my absolute favorite thing to buy at Trader Joe’s. Considering that these cookies are vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and are basically free of any other allergen out there, one would assume that they aren’t good. Instead they are some of the best cookies I have every tasted. They are perfectly soft and are sweet without being too overwhelming. If you only have enough time to pick out one thing, these should be it. 

These are some, but not all, of my favorite Trader Joe goodies that I have found so far. Being only a freshman and just at the beginning of my search, I know that there are so many other delicious treats just waiting to be found. So go ahead and try something new at this treasure trove of a store. You never know what you might find.

Emerson contributor