This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

A new season is finally upon us and we all know what that means: Fall flavors! Some of the best flavors come out during these months, like pumpkin, apple and caramel. Pick your favorite and try one of these tasty fall recipes.

Mini Apple Turnovers:

Fall fruit of choice? Apples! There are a million things you can do with an apple, but these pastries are little and delicious.

Ingredients

• 1 sheet of puff pastry
  • 2 apples
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice
  • 1 – 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
  • 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch
  • 1 egg

(Substitute canned apple pie filling for a shortcut)

Directions

1. First thaw out your puff pastry (you will need one sheet). Peel and core the apples, then chop them into small pieces. Add them to a small pot, then add in the water, ground cinnamon, lemon juice, and sugar (adjust the sugar/lemon juice/cinnamon seasoning to your taste). Let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes, until the apples have softened (you may need to add more water while they cook if it cooks out). Once the apples have softened and let out some liquid, add in the cornstarch and stir for a couple of seconds until the “sauce” has thickened. Pour the mixture into a small bowl, and set aside to let cool. (If you want to skip this whole process, just use canned apple pie filling instead).
  2. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line your baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 12×12 inch square, then cut it into 9 equal squares (4 inches in size each). Prepare your egg wash by whisking together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Spoon 1 tablespoon of your apple filling in the middle of each puff pastry square, brush the sides with some of the egg wash, fold the sides over to make a triangle and secure them using a fork. Brush the tops with more of the egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Let them sit for 5 minutes before eating. 

Courtesy of bloglovin.com

[pagebreak]

Pumpkin Pancakes:

Everyone craves the return of the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, but there is so much more you can do with pumpkin. Don’t forget the maple syrup and butter!

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 cups of milk
  • 1 cup of pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice mix
  • Make your own by mixing 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of ginger, and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg (makes 2 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin puree, egg and oil.
  2. In another large bowl, stir the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin spice mix and salt until well blended.
  3. While stirring, slowly add the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture until blended; try not to over mix the batter. As soon as you see large clumps of flour disappear, stop stirring.
  4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Add about a 1/4 cup of batter for one pancake onto the griddle. Brown on both sides and serve hot with warm maple syrup and butter.

Courtesy of inspiredtaste.net

[pagebreak]

Mini Caramel Apples

If you’re lucky enough to go apple picking this year, fresh apples make any recipe twice as good. But even if the closest you get to apple picking is the local supermarket, try this twist on an old favorite.

Ingredients

• An Apple
  • Melon Baller
  • Caramel
  • Chopped peanuts, sprinkles, mini white or dark chocolate, or any other chopped candy – like Oreos! (Optional)
  • Skinny twigs, toothpicks, or pretzel sticks
  • Mini muffin liners

Directions

1. First, clean the apple and use the baller to cut out the mini apples.
  2. Next, melt the caramel according to the packing directions.
  3. Take one of the mini apples, pat it dry with a paper towel, and place it in the caramel top down.
  4. Using a toothpick flip the apple over, stick the toothpick into the top of the mini caramel apple, and twirl it around until it is completely covered.
  5. Cover the mini caramel apple in nuts, place in a mini muffin liner, and remove the toothpick inserting the twig in its place.
  6. Continue this process until you have covered all of the mini apples. Keep the mini caramel apples cold until its time to serve.

Courtesy of domesticallyblissful.com

Hey guys! I'm Hayley and I'm a sophomore here at Emerson. I'm a WLP major, so I love all things reading and writing. Someday I want to work in big publishing house, like Random House, editing books and working with big time authors. My favorite things to write about are fashion, television, and how to live it up in the city!
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.