5 Ways to Wear the Power Suit Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

From Cyndi Lauper’s lively cupid-print Moschino suit to Kesha’s navy-blue western-inspired ensemble, the 2018 Grammys’ red-carpet displayed the return of the female power suit.

Historically, the power suit had been a menswear piece until the earliest version for females —  the suffragette suit — grew in popularity during the early 20th century.

Shortly after, Coco Chanel invented the iconic Chanel suit, repurposing masculine elements to empower women. Pant suits followed in the 30s, and the power suit hit peak popularity in the 70s and 80s. Today, the female power suit still represents and supports the ongoing girl-power movement.

Here are 5 ways to suit up this spring!

Plaid Blazer 

Plaid blazers are a great way to incorporate the trend without committing to the full suit. They add interest to any basic outfit, and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.

Satin 

Satin suit sets evoke a very polished, but very chic vibe. You can wear the blazer open with a cute bralette or crop top for a girl’s night out or buttoned up with a turtleneck for a class presentation.

All-Red

An all-red power suit definitely makes a statement. Depending on your style, you can also wear the set separately to calm the look down.  For a casual, laid back look, try pairing the suit with a graphic tee and sneakers. For a more elevated look, keep the blazer buttoned up and add a pair of nude heels.  

White 

Like the all-red power suit, all-white power suits are anything but muted. These suits are the epitome of class and elegance, perfect for bougie brunches with BFFs.

Striped 

Stripes make a power suit much more fun! Colorful stripes add personality to the outfit and are perfect for the upcoming spring season.

Journalism major at Emerson College. Coffee and clothing enthusiast.
Emerson contributor