5 Ways to Keep Yourself Busy in the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

My freshman year is officially over, and I’ve never been faced with such a long period of time where I didn’t have to go to school. On the one hand, that feels great. I’m excited to spend the next few months with minimal responsibilities and stretch. On the other hand, that’s a long time away from school, and I know I’ll come back in September with no motivation. Here are some ways that I plan to have fun without having my brain turn to total mush.

1.) Read a book.

Break out that list of books that you’ve been wanting to read. There are few things more relaxing than sitting outside, soaking up the sun, and reading a really great book, especially if you’re reading by the beach. I’d recommend a light contemporary book for a beach day.

2.) Listen to podcasts.

I used to never be interested in listening to podcasts because I have a short attention span, but I’ve found that they’re great to listen to while I’m getting ready in the morning or in the car. My favorite right now is “Reply All,” a show about strange or fascinating stories revolving around the internet.

3.) Practice your passion.

Whether you’re a writer, photographer, artist, or anything else, don’t get rusty on your skills. While you may not have any assignments that require you to practice your art, find ways to keep doing what you love while you’re not at school. When you come back, it won’t feel like it’s been ages since you’ve picked up a camera or pencil.

4.) Learn a language.

You’re not going to come back to school being fluent in a new language, but it’s fun to know a few phrases in another language. Apps like Duolingo and Memrise make it easy to start learning a new language, even when you’re on the go.

5.) Listen to a TED Talk.

For me, listening to TED Talks is like crawling down a rabbit hole. I could spend hours clicking from video to video, finding something new and interesting to listen to. There are so many fascinating talks out there on a wide range of subjects from a diverse group of people, and it can be eye-opening to learn something new.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor