Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

5 Ways to Incorporate Pumpkin in Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Ever since fall has started, I’ve made it my goal to fully enjoy the seasonal flavors that my favorite season brings: memories of caramel apples, maple syrup, hazelnut, and of course, pumpkin spice! I had no problem with spending $6 on a pumpkin spice latte at least twice a week, but now I realize there are more cost effective ways to enjoy fall while still being relatively healthy and taking care of my body.

Pumpkin is one of my favorite flavors, naturally, but it’s also extremely nutritious and chock-full of health benefits. Now, this isn’t just an excuse I’m telling myself to justify baking pumpkin cookies for the third time this week, but it’s actually true! Tons of food and health experts have explained how pure pumpkin puree is relatively good for you and full of protein, antioxidants, etc. Upon researching this, I decided to gather a few different ways I could enjoy my favorite fall flavor and reap all its health benefits.

Pumpkin creamer

This is the absolute perfect way to make your morning coffee THAT much better. There are some awesome whole milk options as well as my personal favorite, almond milk pumpkin spice creamer! It’s relatively affordable and easy to store for college students or people studying remotely. It sounds silly, but this creamer literally makes me excited to wake up in the morning. It can be enjoyed warm, iced, or however you like! Ditch the $6 pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks and Dunkin.

Pumpkin baked goods

Baking has been my new favorite hobby this fall and I can guarantee that pumpkin is even better to bake with than bananas are! Forget banana bread, try pumpkin bread! Cookies, cupcakes, and even baked donuts will make you feel like it’s fall even if you live somewhere where the leaves don’t change (like myself). I know this one can be a bit harder if you’re a college student and don’t have access to a kitchen or baking supplies, but you can enjoy these baked goods by purchasing pre-made grocery store versions! I recommend Trader Joes especially; they do a great job with fall-themed sweets.

Pumpkin hummus

Okay, don’t underestimate the power of chickpeas. Snacking on different dessert hummus’ is my guilty pleasure, but I could not contain myself when trying pumpkin hummus. It surpassed all my expectations and is the ultimate snack. Not only is it absolutely delicious, hummus is a fantastic vegetarian and vegan option that’s packed full of protein and nutrients that will leave you full for longer. I know this option can seem a bit extreme, but as a food lover I want to assure you that you can NOT knock it until you try it. You can eat it with your favorite fruit, chips, spread it on toast or a sandwich, and even eat it by the spoonful. Target is probably the best place to not only find pumpkin spice hummus but also a variety of other dessert hummus options that will make all your snacking dreams come true.

Pumpkin breakfast items

There is nothing quite like having dessert for breakfast! This category overlaps a bit with pumpkin baked goods, but it’s just because of how versatile pumpkin puree is. With just a can of pure pumpkin puree (and a few extra ingredients), you can transform your breakfast into delicious pumpkin breads, muffins, and even special pancakes. This is a TOTAL upgrade from a regular iced coffee and a granola bar. Breads and all that are fun, but a complete innovative twist (and my personal favorite since October has started) is pumpkin oatmeal. Use your favorite instant oats, mix in some magical pumpkin puree, a little bit of pumpkin spice and cinnamon, and I promise you will not regret it. Again, this addition of pumpkin isn’t just to satisfy your fall cravings,but will also keep you full for longer and make your breakfast even more nutritious.

Pumpkin seeds

These little guys are so underrated! Now I totally understand it’s not realistic for a college student to be making their own pumpkin puree and cleaning out their own pumpkin seeds (sounds fun though), so I’ve discovered that stores actually sell pumpkin seeds the same way they sell sunflower seeds, nuts, etc. Roasted pumpkin seeds are delicious, crunchy, and have so many health benefits. They’re a great source of antioxidants and are known to improve and strengthen the cardiovascular system. Add it to your new list of fall snacks!

Anna Arriaga

Emerson '24

Hey! My name's Anna (sometimes Annie) Arriaga and I'm from the pastelito-filled land of Miami, FL. I'm currently studying in Boston, MA at Emerson College, majoring in Business of Creative Enterprises with a minor in Narrative Nonfiction. I'm a food blogger and writer with a particular affinity for all things dessert, Ben & Jerry's and MilkBar being my two go-to's.
Emerson contributor