5 Ways to Beat Dry Skin This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s wintertime and the living is cold. Even a walk down the street means crazy winds, cold temps, and dry air. So how do you keep your skin baby soft while winter attempts to combat you into cracks and itches?  Not to worry! These 5 tips will keep everyone thinking you just landed from an island oasis. Try these and it will be smooth sailing through the rest of winter.

1. Sleep tight and all lathered up. Catching your beauty ZZZs is the perfect time to also do a little skin maintenance. Before cozying up in your fuzzy pants and no doubt thick socks, throw some lotion on the legs and feet. By covering the lotion with fabric while you sleep, the moisture will have time to sink into your skin and be locked there until morning.

2. Rudolph alert. While you wish to be a beacon of style you could probably do without the beacon of red shining from your nose every time you come inside. Outdoors in cold weather means your nose often loses circulation. Try keeping a washcloth handy. Wet it and pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds. By using a hot compress over the area, you will be able to increase circulation and get your nose back to its normal hue.

3. Lips are sealed – with moisture that is. Lip balm is great and undoubtedly this winter, you will have about 5 tubes in every bag and jacket pocket you own. But winter winds can mean business even to your most trusted balms. If lips start to flake or crack, exfoliation is your new best friend. Try a lip scrub or even pure exfoliation by rubbing lips with a washcloth or toothbrush to remove excess skin. Exfoliate first, balm after. This will keep your lips baby soft and kiss ready all season.

4. Don’t forget the sun block. The only thing worse than winter dry skin is winter sunburn. It is easy to forget about the sun when we aren’t out laying on the beach, but winter’s sun promises to be just as brutal. For those of us who will brave the frigid conditions outdoors try a thick moisturizer with SPF to keep face hydrated and irritation free.

5. Pedal to the metal. Nothing shouts winter quite like callused and cracked hooves. A weekly shower exfoliation is your new best friend. Invest in a pumice stone instead of a weekly pedicure trip and scrub away dry skin to keep your feet heel ready. Use once a week in your daily shower routine and your boots really will be made for walking and trudging through the snow. 

Emerson contributor