5 Things We Miss About Prom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Most of us have a love-hate relationship with high school. We hated waking up at 6:00 am, cafeteria food, and the homework that came with eight classes a day. We loved football games and our best friends – but the absolute best part of high school was definitely prom. Just because we’re in college and twenty years old doesn’t mean we’re too grown up to be missing prom. Here’s what we’re going to be missing most this year!

1. Finding the perfect dress

We miss looking at prom dresses and spending countless afternoons with friends trying them on! Looking back, trying on dresses was more fun than actually wearing them to prom. Now, we look back at those hours spent finding the perfect dress and wish college gave us some kind of opportunity to return that experience back to us!

davidsbridal

2. Being pampered

“Eyebrows, nails, hair” is like the “gym, tan, laundry” for any girl going to prom. Prom is a special time when we don’t care about spending a whole entire paycheck to look the absolute best for one night. Spending so much money on one night might seem ridiculous in retrospect, but at the time it was so worth it!

static

3. Taking pictures and looking 100% in every one of them

On normal days, when your friends want to take pictures and you don’t think you look your best, you usually shy away from the camera. On prom night, no one shies away from the camera because everyone looks and feels amazing! Photo-ops like those on prom night are so extremely rare to come by that you’ll be lucky if you look great in at least two tagged photos on Facebook.

datesafeproject

4. Dancing with your high school sweetheart

Since childhood, we’ve been watching rom-coms and Disney Channel movies where the happy couple dances and the girl feels like everything else in the world disappears. Dancing with your high school sweetheart at prom is probably the closest thing you’ll get to this, until your wedding day that is!

fanpop

5. The excitement that came with prom queen

Even if you don’t want to admit it, every girl at prom felt the slight hope that they would be chosen as prom queen and it was exhilarating. Whether you were actually crowned prom queen or not, it was fun trying to figure out who was going to be picked and being happy for whoever actually won. 

nowherethis

Emerson contributor