5 Makeshift Sled Ideas for the Resourceful College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter is finally here, and that means snow is on its way.  If you love the season as much as I do, there will inevitably be days where you want to do nothing more than go outside and play in the snow.  But having fun can be difficult if you’re not adequately prepared.  What if you don’t have gloves or boots?  More importantly, what if you don’t have a sled? If you don’t have a sled and you don’t have the time or money to go buy one, there is still something you can do: you can make your own!  To help you out with all of your spontaneous snowstorm adventures, here is a list of makeshift sled ideas that you can construct with limited resources. 

1. Cardboard Boxes and Garbage Bags

If you have a large cardboard box lying around (the sturdier the better), just cover it in garbage bags and you’re good to go.  Make sure the bags are tightly sealed so that snow doesn’t get in and ruin the cardboard!  This sled is 50% duct tape, 50% hope. 

2. Air Mattress

Air mattresses can literally fly down a steep hill.  They’re just as good as any inner tube or sled on the market.  As an added bonus, they can carry a lot more people than a regular sled.  A big one could probably fit your entire squad.  There’s no better bonding than potentially dangerous shenanigans, so if you have a mattress you’re willing to risk, do it.  It’ll be worth it.

3. Metal Tray

Use any old baking pan or lunch tray.  I’m a bit skeptical of this one, but who knows!  Physics is weird, so I guess it could work.

4. Plastic Box

Make sure your friends take pictures as you’re shredding those hills!  Protip: boxes with funky designs will make you look even cooler.  Slap some stickers on that baby and you’re off!

5. Your Roommate

With enough desperation and determination, your roommate can be just as effective as a snowboard.  Just tie their hair back, give them a facemask and an encouraging pat on the back, and go.

Melissa Close is from Waterford, Connecticut. She is majoring in Writing, Literature & Publishing at Emerson College.
Emerson contributor