Mean Girls phone scene
Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions
Style > Fashion

5 Costumes to Throw Together With Clothes You Already Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Dressing up for Halloween in college can be difficult with busy schedules and budgetary constraints. Some people don’t have the time to go out and search for the perfect costume. Luckily, you might already have everything you need in your own closet. Here are some ideas for costumes to put together at the last minute that will still be super fun!

Regina George and Other Mean Girls Characters

Regina George’s iconic cutout top with her bra showing through is a great, quick costume. All you need is a white tank top, a purple bra (or a different bright color if you don’t have purple), and a black skirt. Cut two circles out of the white tank top on the bra region, and you’re all set! 

Gretchen and Karen are perfect additions for a group costume if you’re running out of time to plan. Just find all of the pink in your closet and figure out what works well together. I would recommend a skirt and tank top or baby tee combo. Just remember OWWWP (On Wednesdays, we wear pink!). 

Princess Leia

This is actually my costume plan for the day before Halloween. I have a white slip dress that I am pairing with a white turtleneck to become a more modern version of Leia’s white gown. If you have go-go boots, this would also be a perfect time to put those to use! I am also putting my hair into two buns, although they will be significantly smaller than the originals. 

Mamma Mia!

Speaking of go-go boots, Mamma Mia! is another easy group costume. Donna’s look can be created by a simple white t-shirt and overalls. Tanya requires dramatic sunglasses and a sexy sundress, and Rosie can be achieved by a fun patterned blouse and pants. If you want to become Donna and the Dynamos, you might need to buy a few things, but if you happen to have shiny blue jumpsuits (or anything flashy and somewhat cohesive), go for it!

Modern Day Princess

This is the ultimate lazy costume because you can basically pull anything that is the same color as a Disney princess’ outfit and make it work. I have wide-legged green pants and a purple crop top that would make a great modern Ariel costume. For Cinderella, I have a cowl neck blue dress and a pearl necklace. For Rapunzel, I have a floral puffy-sleeved dress and pink and purple flower clips. Look at what you have and find fun ways to create your own version of your favorite princess. 

The Sun and the Moon

The Sun and the Moon are a cute last minute duo costume. You can find any gold and yellow or blue and silver in your closet to create these looks. This is also an opportunity for fun, glittery makeup with sun and moon symbols. I also recommend layering shiny necklaces and finding some sort of headpiece like a headband or tiara. The more sparkles, the better!

There’s no need to stress about finding Halloween costumes—you already have all of the clothes you need to create a fun outfit. And the best part—it’s completely free!

Maddie Browning is a senior journalism major with environmental studies and publishing minors at Emerson College. She is a freelance writer for the Living and Arts sections at The Boston Globe. Browning covers music, comedy, books, travel, romance, and fashion.