5 BTS B-Sides That Hit Different: Older Discography Edition (2013-2016)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It shouldn’t be questioned that there is not a bad title track from BTS. From their debut with “No More Dream” up to their latest lead single “Life Goes On,” BTS’ lead singles are incredibly unforgettable. However, there are a few hidden gems in their discography that deserve as much attention as their lead singles. If you are looking for hard-hitting, catchy, and all-around iconic B-side tracks from BTS’ older discography (from 2013’s 2 Cool 4 Skool up to 2016’s Wings), then look no further!

looking out window wearing headphones
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst/Shopify

“Coffee” (O!RUL8,2?, 2013)

If you are looking for music to relax and unwind to, “Coffee” is the perfect song for you! Serving as the sixth track off of BTS’ 2nd mini album titled O!RUL8,2?, “Coffee” utilizes samples from Urban Zakapa’s “커피를 마시고” along with the familiar sounds of a local cafe. Telling a bittersweet love story through metaphors of coffee, this B-side track is an old-y but a goodie, and never fails to put me in a good mood. 

“Jump” (Skool Luv Affair, 2014)

BTS has many B-sides that are so good and that give you so much energy that they deserve the title track status. One of those B-sides is “Jump,” which serves as the ninth track of their second mini album titled Skool Luv Affair. The lyrics talk about ambition and simply living life to the fullest. The entire song goes hard, but I have such a strong attachment to V’s verse—I can’t help myself but rap along with him when his verse comes on. This song will literally make you jump, and will surely make your mood a thousand times better than before.

“24/7=Heaven” (Dark & Wild, 2014)

Sometimes you want a song that you can feel like you are the main character in a romantic comedy—when you fall head over heels for someone, and there are butterflies in your stomach as you are in a state of euphoria. For me, one of those songs is “24/7=Heaven,” which is the eleventh track off of BTS’ debut studio album, Dark & Wild. The lyrics talk about the anticipation one feels before a first date, and simply being excited for that spark of romance. Whether you share those similar sentiments about someone, or you just want a song to vibe to, “24/7=Heaven” is a track you can never skip! 

“Ma City” (The Most Beautiful Moment in Life Pt.2, 2015)

BTS has many, many songs that just make you want to get up and dance. However, “Ma City” is one of those songs that many people overlook, and I couldn’t tell you why. “Ma City” first appears as the fifth track in BTS’ fourth extended play titled The Most Beautiful Moment in Life Pt.2, and also appears as the seventh track on BTS’ 2015 compilation album titled The Most Beautiful Moment in Life: Young Forever. The songs pay tribute to each of the members’ respective hometowns, and it is such a joy to hear their love and passion for their roots. It is absolutely impossible not to shout “Say la la la la la” during the pre-chorus, and this song is an essential to any spontaneous dance party.

“Am I Wrong” (Wings, 2016)

I am confident that I am not the first to admit that Wings is such an emotional rollercoaster, especially when listening to it the first time, from beginning to end. However, “Am I Wrong,” which appears as the twelfth track after all of the members’ solo songs, is an energy pill in song form! With lyrics that talk about political issues in Korean society, “Am I Wrong” consists of samples from Keb Mo’s 1994 track of the same name, as well as a catchy chorus and rhythm. If you’re in need of a song to hype you up, “Am I Wrong” is exactly that song!

Marieska Luzada is a sophomore at Emerson College at Boston, MA majoring in journalism and minoring in publishing. Besides writing for HerCampus, you can find her drafting an a capella arrangement, drinking an iced matcha latte, reading a young adult contemporary, or listening to Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks.
Emerson contributor