This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Science fiction and fantasy novels are having a serious moment right now, so why not embrace it. Here are some of my favorite book picks for the genre. 

Woman Reading book in bed with coffee
Photo by Laura Chouette from Unsplash

The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

The Poppy War is the first book in a trilogy by R.F. Kuang, a Chinese-American fantasy writer. It is an acclaimed dark historical fantasy novel following Fang Runin (Rin), an orphaned girl from a poor family who studies to get accepted into Sinegard Academy, the best military school in the country. The Poppy War gets much of its inspiration from Chinese wars, history, and society. However, Kuang adds in surreal elements as well with gods, goddesses, and shamanic powers. Many of the characters, including Rin, exist in a morally grey area, and Kuang does not shy away from the morally ambiguous, complex aspects of war. This book gets extremely dark, may be triggering to some, and contains many traumatic events, so potential readers should be careful. 

Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune is a science fiction classic, inspiring many fantasy and science fiction novels, movies, and TV shows. With political intrigue, environmentalism, religion, and the dangers of hero worship, amongst other concepts, it’s a book that has it all. The worldbuilding and story is complex, with many different plotlines and characters, and it slowly comes to a head as characters’ motives emerge. This book is not for everyone, as it’s definitely a slog at 1000 pages, but it’s well worth it if you’re interested in reading one of the most iconic science fiction novels. It’s also being turned into a movie that comes out this year, so if you’re not into reading the book, you could try the much-hyped movie. 

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Red Rising is a dystopian sci-fi novel which focuses on Darrow, a miner who lives in a world where everyone has been separated into a social hierarchy based on their color, with Golds at the top. Darrow is a Red, part of the lowest caste, who infiltrates Gold society in order to try and change it from the inside out. He goes to the Institute, a literal war ground for the elite Golds, who are all trying to prove their strength and power. Darrow has to work twice as hard to keep up with those who have been trained since birth for this experience, and rely on his own skills to make it out alive. 

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Locke Lamora is a so-called gentleman bastard, who steals from the rich to make himself and his friends even richer. He and his gang con their way around the city of Camorr, donning disguises, accents, and personalities to try and dupe the nobles out of their money. However, he didn’t start out this way—as an orphan who narrowly avoided slavery and death before being given to his mentor/con artist, Father Chains, he’s had his fair share of hardships and lessons learnt (usually the hard way). He soon makes his way up to becoming the leader of the gang, but someone dangerous is lurking in Camorr, and Locke is determined to protect the people and the city that he loves. 

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

In 1714, Addie makes a bargain to live forever. Her curse? No one can, does, or will remember who she is. Figuring out the boundaries of her bargain, she discovers that she can survive in a way that she has never done before. She lives through wars and revolutions, quickly learning that her desire to make a mark on the world is stronger than ever. Her life suddenly flips upside down when she meets a boy in New York City who remembers her name. Through art and history, spanning continents and centuries, she learns what she’s willing to do for those she loves. 

Hannah is a Chinese-American sophomore Publishing student at Emerson College. She loves to read science-fiction and fantasy novels, listen to music, and hang out with her friends. She is a Christian and heavily involved on campus organizations outside of HerCampus, with orgs like ASIA, Anime@Emerson, and Concrete Literary Magazine.
Emerson contributor