5 Black-Owned Restaurants Less Than 5 Miles Away (Emerson Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s Black History Month! As a college student, I know it can be hard to find money to donate to foundations or to make a real difference in a tangible way. While many people suggest to donate to GoFundMes and foundations in order to inspire change or pay reparations, I know it can be hard because it leaves the donor unsure of where their money is truly going. If you have the resources to do so, I highly recommend donating money to local organizations or GoFundMes of people in your community if they’ve been established as credible. If you don’t have the extra money to directly donate, you can use your occasional restaurant outing to give money to a Black-owned business. I’ve compiled a list of Black-owned restaurants in the Emerson area—take the T to any of these spots and celebrate Black History Month by contributing to some Black-owned businesses. 

fondue pot with food
Photo by Angela Pham from Unsplash

Lucy Ethiopian Cafe

This adorable cafe which serves traditional African dishes is no more than a 10-minute train ride from the Emerson campus. While they don’t have a dine-in option due to COVID-19, they still do takeout and delivery! They have a wide range of diverse dishes, including an array of vegetarian options. While the entrees cost between $12-16, the pictures show that the volume of food is well worth this price—they also have smaller appetizers, combos, and desserts. There aren’t many Ethiopian spots in Boston and this restaurant is an enticing opportunity to try something new while also supporting a small, local business. They’re located at 334 Massachusetts Ave, Boston, MA 02115. The best way to get there is to hop on the orange line at the Chinatown stop by campus, and get off at the Forest Hills stop. From there, you only walk for two minutes and all your dreams can come true!

Savvor Restaurant and Lounge

This unique spot that serves a fusion of traditionally Southern food with Caribbean influences is so close to campus you can’t even take the train—it’s a 9-minute walk. Fortunately, they have a COVID-safe, socially distant dine-in option, as well as takeout and delivery options. This place looks perfect for a fun Friday night of dressing up and fancy entrees. Although it’s a bit pricier than something casual, Savvor features signature dishes such as Tennessee Hot Fried Chicken, a massive plate of fried chicken on top of a waffle covered in honey. I’m drooling thinking about it! If you’re not in the mood to spend too much money, they have a variety of reasonably priced appetizers to share. They’re located in the Leather District at 180 Lincoln St, Boston, MA 02111—a quick walk away.

Darryl’s Corner Bar & Kitchen

This jazzy establishment known for their delicious Southern comfort food and entertainment is less than 8 minutes away when you take the T from campus! They’re also open with a dine-in option, where masks are mandatory and all sanitation rules are followed. They continue with live entertainment on certain days, and reservations are in high demand for these (reservations are required to dine here). They are especially known for their amazing brunch menu with dishes such as Red Velvet Waffles and shrimp & grits; they have dishes to satisfy both sweet and savory cravings. Additionally, they have a normal all-day menu with comfort dishes like Creole Jambalaya and BBQ Salmon Burger. Next time you’re itching for an Insta-worthy brunch on a Sunday, you know where to make reservations! They’re located at 604 Columbus Ave, Boston, MA 02118. The best way to get there is to hop on the orange line from the Tufts Medical Center stop and get off at the Forest Hills stop; then it’s a short walk away.

MIDA

This classy restaurant in the South End with Italian influences is about 12 minutes away from campus. MIDA is run by chef Douglass Williams, who was named one of the top 10 best new chefs in 2020 by Food&Wine, and he does NOT play around with his dishes. When you eat here, you’re definitely paying for a high-class, high-quality culinary experience. That being said, the lunch menu prices make more sense for a college students budget and include dishes like Eggplant Parm Sandwich and Piatto De AntiPasti (just a fancy name for charcuterie board). They’re open with a COVID-safe dine-in option, and they follow all sanitation guidelines. The aesthetic of the interior of this eatery is absolutely adorable and vintage, like something out of a romantic storybook. They’re located at 782 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02118. The fastest way to get there is to hop on the orange line at Tufts Medical Center, get off at Forest Hills, then walk about 6 minutes through the South End. 

Slade’s Bar & Grill

This historical spot that’s been around since 1935 is about 10 minutes away from Emerson. Slade’s serves soul food to an R&B soundtrack, calling themselves the “soul of Boston.” Thankfully, they have a dine-in option in addition to takeout and delivery, and follow all COVID guidelines. They also have outdoor dining! Their menu is extensive and I don’t think I could ever decide what to order—the Catfish Nuggets Dinner and the Fried Okra Poppers are calling my name. Their dessert menu includes my personal favorites, Banana Pudding and Sweet Potato Pie. Prices are super reasonable and similar to a restaurant like the Cheesecake Factory. They’re located at 958 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02120. The best way to get there is to hop on the orange line at Tufts Medical Center, get off at Forest Hills, and walk about 7 minutes. 

Anna Arriaga

Emerson '24

Hey! My name's Anna (sometimes Annie) Arriaga and I'm from the pastelito-filled land of Miami, FL. I'm currently studying in Boston, MA at Emerson College, majoring in Business of Creative Enterprises with a minor in Narrative Nonfiction. I'm a food blogger and writer with a particular affinity for all things dessert, Ben & Jerry's and MilkBar being my two go-to's.
Emerson contributor