5 Awesome Photo-Editing Apps for the Perfect Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Creating the perfect Instagram seems simple in theory, but it actually can take an army of apps. There are so many things to consider: saturation, brightness, ratio and so much more. If you’re trying to make it big as an Instagram photographer, sometimes #nofilter just doesn’t cut it. Below are our five favorite photo-editing apps. They’ll enhance your photos and, hopefully, help up your ‘likes’.

1. VSCOcam (free)

iPhone and Android

Are you ever envious of the hipster-esque photos your stumble upon while scrolling through Tumblr? Ever wonder how to get your photos to look faded and subdued? VSCOcam will help you create oh-so-cool photos. VSCOcam’s variety of filters are super customizable, so you can achieve your intended photo look.

2. Squaready (free)

iPhone

Cropping photos is so much easier with Squaready. You can use the app’s multitude of tools to transfer your photo exactly how you want it. Squaready will help you create “full length” photos, meaning you can Insta that awesome photo you took with your friends without cropping anyone out. If you’re sick of square Instagram photos, this app is for you.

3. Afterlight ($0.99)

iPhone and Android

Afterlight is the app to download for all of your photo editing needs. Upload your photo and you can have the app auto-fix your pic or you can customize your own settings. It has an abundance of filters under different categories. You can buy more filters if you want, plus you can crop and straighten in-app. Afterlight also has awesome frames to choose from.

4. Rookie (free)

iPhone and Android

Rookie not only has great filters, but it also allows you to add stickers and text to your photo. Try using the app’s texture and leak options to add a special flair to your pics. Create quality photos for absolutely free!

5. Pic Stitch (free)

iPhone and Android 

It’s your best friend’s birthday and you can’t pick just one photo to Instagram. That’s where Pic Stitch comes in to save the day. You can make awesome picture collages with this app. Whether you want to include three photos, five photos, or seven, Pic Stitch lets you choose from layout options. Export straight to Instagram and you’re done!

What are your favorite photo-editing apps? Let us know in the comments below or by tweeting us at @HCEmerson

Cassidy is a Digital Production intern at Her Campus. She's currently a junior studying journalism at Emerson College. Cassidy also is a freelance reporter at the Napa Valley Register and a staff writer at Her Campus Emerson. Previously she blogged for Seventeen Magazine at the London 2012 Olympics, wrote for Huffington Post as a teen blogger and was a Team Advisor at the National Student Leadership Conference on Journalism, Film, & Media Arts at University of California, Berkeley and American University in Washington, D.C.. When she's not uploading content to Her Campus or working on her next article, Cassidy can be found planning her next adventure or perfecting her next Instagram. Follow her on Twitter at @cassidyyjayne and @cassidyjhopkins.  
Emerson contributor