alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Ways to Combat the Mid-Semester Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The middle of the semester can be immensely stressful, second only to finals. You’ve settled into your classes, and the excitement of the course, along with your motivation, slowly fades. Suddenly, your two-hour lecture begins to feel double the length.

Here are three ways to combat the mid-semester blues.  

1.) Listen to a Motivational podcast

Listening to motivational podcasts in the morning helps put me into a productive mindset. My current favorite podcast is College Fashionista’s “Office Hours” where founder Amy Levin chats with fashion and beauty insiders about their successes in their respective industries. Find a podcast that motivates you and gets you pumped up for those pesky 8-a.m. classes.

2.) Set Up a Countdown

Having something to look forward to helps reinstate all that wavering motivation. Setting up a countdown makes it feel all the more tangible! Your countdown doesn’t have to be for a monumental life event— it can be something super simple like a weekend movie date with friends. There are tons of free countdown apps available, and they’re really just a great way to help you focus on things that are exciting and meaningful to you.

3.) Allocate time to reflect on your successes

Though it can sometimes seem like the hardships are outweighing your successes, it helps a lot to write down little things you’ve accomplished throughout the week. Maybe you’ve just turned in an assignment you worked really hard on or you’ve found a really cute vintage item at a thrift store. Jot it down! Honing in on the positives propels you forward and sets you up to slay the last half of the semester.

Journalism major at Emerson College. Coffee and clothing enthusiast.
Emerson contributor