books and stationary with skull on top
books and stationary with skull on top
Photo by Melissa Constandse

10 Ways to Celebrate Day of the Dead as a College Student Away From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Day of the Dead or Dia de los Muertos is a Mexican holiday (although it is also celebrated in other parts of Latin America) that celebrates the connection between life and death. Celebrated during the first two days of November, it is believed that during these two days, the passage between the spirit world is open and our deceased loved ones can come back and visit us. While Day of the Dead is often confused with Mexican Halloween, it is actually quite the opposite. Day of the Dead is a celebration! Families come together to dance, sing and enjoy some good food! As a Mexican college student, this time of the year can make you miss these large celebrations, especially since we are in the middle of a pandemic. However, there are some ways we can all celebrate this holiday even when we are away from home!

Get crafty with some “papel picado” 

Papel picado translates to chopped paper. It is typically hung in banners and used as decoration during this time of year. All you need to do is fold colourful pieces of paper into fourths and make cuts in the form of various shapes. When they are unfolded, you will have a beautifully intricate symmetrical design to spice up any room! Although most people aren’t familiar with the name papel picado, they will usually recognize these decorations since they are typically used year-round as decoration in many Mexican restaurants throughout the U.S.              

Try making an “ofrenda”

An ofrenda translates to an offering. They are usually left at the altar of a deceased loved one. While you probably don’t have room in your dorm to make a full blown altar, you can take some candles, flowers and a picture of your loved one and make a mini ofrenda in the comfort of your own room. It is always a good time to remember fond memories with our loved ones!

Play around with makeup 

No Day of the Dead celebration is complete without elaborate makeup. Traditional makeup for this day features classy skeleton artistry. However, it is meant to be joyful  rather than scary. In fact, women who wear traditional makeup around this time do it to resemble “La Cantrina,” a glamorous high society skeletal lady. Playing around and trying to mimic traditional makeup or coming up with your own festive design (as simple or complicated as you want to make it) are great ways of commemorating the spirit of this holiday. 

Listen to festive music

From mariachi to reggaeton, there is no “right” music to listen to during this holiday. Typically people listen to the favorite songs or artists of their deceased loved ones. Make a playlist with your loved one’s favorite songs and remember fond of your time together. This is such an easy way to get in touch with your roots in a non-time consuming way!

Write some literary calaveritas

Calaveritas are a form of traditional Day of the Dead writing. Essentially, they are satirical poems that make fun of living individuals in the form of eulogies. The idea is to embrace the fact that one day we are all going to die. Mexicans take this even further and embrace that death is a part of life. Write a calaverita for a living loved one and have a good laugh reading it to them with this fun tradition!

Make some DIY marigold flowers

Marigolds are the traditional flower of the Day of the Dead. They are typically left in altars and used as decoration because of their vibrant colors (orange and yellow) and their strong scent. It is believed that these characteristics allow spirits to see and smell the flowers even after death. While marigold flowers aren’t the easiest to find if you’re not in Mexico you can always make your own using tissue paper. They not only serve as remembrance of the holiday but as colourful decoration for your room.  

Cook a special dinner for yourself or your friends 

One of the main parts of Day of the Dead is simply spending time with loved ones and eating some good food! Look up some of your favorite recipes or ask your family about what your deceased loved ones used to enjoy eating. Even if you’re just ordering takeout from your favorite Mexican restaurant, it can still bring you closer to your culture!

Buy some Pan de Muerto! Or if you’re feeling daring you can bake it yourself

Pan de muerto (Bread of the dead) is the most popular food of this holiday. It is a sweetened soft bread shaped like a bun decorated with bone shaped pieces on top. This sweet bread is available at most Latino bakeries at this time of year. If you want to dip your toes into this holiday, buying a loaf of pan de muerto and sharing it with your friends is a good way to start. You can even try looking up a recipe and baking it yourself!

Call your extended relatives, wherever they may be!

If you have relatives in other countries or time zones, Day of the Dead is the perfect time to reconnect with them. Set some time aside to talk to relatives you haven’t talked to in a long time, perhaps due to complications of different time zones. Even if it is just a short conversation or Zoom call, Day of the Dead is all about reconnecting family. 

Set up a zoom dinner with your family or friends

Along the same lines, even if you are a college student away from home, that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Day of the Dead with your family. Set up a Zoom call to have dinner together on November 1st or 2nd. Try eating some pan de muerto or just some good Mexican food together despite the distance—your family will appreciate it!

Camila is a sophomore political communications major at Emerson College with minors in Latinx studies and women, gender and sexuality studies. Avid lover of musicals, flowers and staying educated!
Emerson contributor