This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We’re in the middle of (in my opinion) the best time of the year. But that doesn’t mean time won’t get away from us. In fact, I’d argue that it flies by even quicker. There are midterms and parties and Netflix shows to catch up on…I mean who can blame you for forgetting about your Halloween costume? So if you’re like me, a major procrastinator, then you’re left with far too little time to pull together a fun costume for the night we’ve all been anticipating. But don’t worry! I’ve done some research and rounded up the cutest, easiest, and cleverest last-minute Halloween costume ideas!

1. An Ice Cream Cone/Sundae 

Got a sweet tooth? Then this one’s for you! It’s so simple you’ll even have time to sit down and polish of a pint of ice cream after you finish! …just me?

You’ll need:

-A white dress or a white T-Shirt & skirt

-Multicolored construction paper

-A party hat

Instructions

1. Cut out multi-colored, sprinkle-shaped decals.

2. Tape or use fabric glue to apply them randomly to your dress or tee and skirt.

3. Cover your party hat in tan construction paper

4. You’re done!

(Tip: Add diamond-shaped details to the party hat to give it a waffle-cone effect!)

2. Minnie Mouse

You’re a mouse –– duh! This one is awesome because there are so many ways to go about it, and it can be as elaborate or simple as you’d like!

You’ll need:

-A black top (anything you’re comfortable with!)

-A red skirt (tutu, patent leather, skater, A-line…it doesn’t matter! Whatever you’ve got on hand)

-Minnie Ears! (Either ~authentic~ Disney park ones or knock-offs which are available at really any Halloween store or craft store!)

Instructions:

1. Cut out white circles from paper and glue or tape them to your skirt to get Minnie’s authentic look!

2. Add mouse details to your face with eyeliner or costume makeup.

3. Grab a pair of yellow flats or heels to polish off costume!

3. Baymax (Disney’s Big Hero 6)

Be your own personal health care provider! Probably one of the easiest costumes.

You’ll Need:

– A white dress or white T-shirt and skirt

– Black construction paper

Instructions:

1. Cut out Baymax’s eyes from the black construction paper.

2. Glue to dress!

4. Scarecrow

Make this as fashionable or ~spooky~ as you’d like! Odds are, the staple pieces are already in your closet, and the rest can be done with makeup!

You’ll need:

-A flannel shirt

-Jeans or Overalls

-Boots

-A straw hat

-Makeup

Instructions: 

1. After assembling your outfit, apply a stitched mouth effect with black or brown eyeliner.

2. Create the same effect around the tip of your nose and the rim of your eyes.

3. Emphasize cheekbones with blush and contouring.

4. Add additional stitches and color swatches to your liking!

(Tip: Add a bandana around your neck for a classic country look!)

5. Pantone Color Swatch

I know I keep contradicting myself, but perhaps this is the easiest costume? I’ll let you all be the judge. Plus, you get to pick your favorite color!

You’ll need:

-Clothing items of the same or similar color

-Construction paper

Instructions: 

1. Gather clothing items that are all the same or matching color

2. Cut out a piece of paper and write “Pantone: Color # and Name”

3. Glue to outfit!

(Tip: if you have extra time, grab a wig matching your color for a complete monochromatic effect!)

6. Rosie the Riveter

What’s Halloween without at least one Rosie? Here at HCE, we’re always on the lookout for some major #girlboss vibes, and no one does it more than the classic icon, Rosie the Riveter.

You’ll need:

-A denim/chambray button-down shirt

-Blue jeans

-A red bandana

-Red Lipstick

Instructions: 

1. After dressing in your head-to-toe denim, tie your hair up in either a top-knot or ponytail.

2. Tie a bandana around the top or your head like a headband.

3. Apply red lipstick and strike your power pose!

(Tip: Apply a dramatic cat eye for a more retro look!)

7. Cactus

We all love our succulents and cacti, so why not become one? Just be careful not to get too close to your friends!

You’ll need:

-A green sweater

-White paper

-A fake/real pink flower

Instructions: 

1. Cut out 1 x 0.5 inch strips of paper and fold each in half.

2. Glue or tape each strip by the folded tip with each half pointing outwards in a “V” formation to the sweater randomly.

3. Tuck your pink flower atop your head!

(Tip: Add random lines on your face for an “on-POINT” look (yikes…))

8. Boo (Monsters Inc.)

Yes, I’m telling you t you can wear a baggy tee, soft leggings, and carry around your best Sully doodle. Just dress up as everyone’s favorite little “monster”!

You’ll need:

• A pink T shirt (Preferably oversized)

• Purple pants of some kind (Preferably Leggings)

• 2 pink hair ties

• White sneakers

Instructions: 

1. After donning your Boo apparel, divide your hair evenly on each side and tie back into pigtails.

2. You’re done!

(Tip: Grab a piece of paper and doodle a version of Sully to carry around with you!)

9. A Bundle of Grapes

You know what they say when life gives you grapes…I mean––

So this is probably the most complicated of all of the costumes I’ve thrown in here, but it’s also super cute! Admittedly, it will take some commitment in terms of wear, but pretty much no commitment in terms of time!

You’ll need:

-24 purple balloons

-A purple shirt

-Green leggings or pants

-Green construction paper

Instructions:

1. After throwing on your shirt and pants, inflate your balloons low to mid-way.

2. Ask a friend for help taping, gluing, or pinning the balloons all over the front of your costume, leaving the back clear so you can sit!

3. Cut out leaf shapes on green construction paper and add leaf detailing.

4. Put your hair up and pin the leaves into place!

(Tip: Bring extra deflated balloons with you when you go out just in case one pops!)

10. Identity Thief

Last but certainly not least, this costume is probably my favorite as it ’s clever, costs next to nothing, and also requires zero commitment.

You’ll need:

-Name tag stickers

Instructions: 

1. Write a variety of names on each tag (friends, family, movie/T.V. characters) and stick them all over your outfit.

2. You’re done!

(Tip: Add a mask, black gloves, or other ~classic~ criminal accessories for a more detailed look)

And that’s a wrap! I hope you found something here you’ll be able to throw together or found yourself inspired to create something else! Don’t forget to tag @hercampusemerson if you choose a costume from here, I’d love to see the results! Time to go sort through my closet for a flannel shirt and some overalls…

Brooke Dunn

Emerson '20

Born in Chicago, IL but raised in St. Louis, MO, Brooke is currently a student at Emerson’s college in Boston, MA. At Emerson, she's pursuing a degree in Writing, Literature, and Publishing with a concentration in Digital Publishing. Her hobbies include reading, traveling, and writing!
Emerson contributor