10 Dos and Don’ts for When You’re Home for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

School breaks are truly a strange time for every college student. You’re home with your family and all your high school friends, and regardless of whether or not you really want to be there, you’re stuck sleeping in your childhood bedroom once again. Some things about going home on break can really suck, like once again having to be under the watchful eye of your doting mother and having absolutely nothing to do but get drunk in the rec room of some towny you haven’t talked to in like a year.  But, some things aren’t so bad. Like getting to catch up with friends you haven’t seen in months and having fresh ears for all of your craziest stories from the first half of the semester. Or just getting to sleep in, watch Netflix, and get your fill of home cooked meals. Still, there are many things to avoid and also some tasks to think about tackling with all your free time. Here are a few of the big dos and don’ts to consider while on spring break this year. 

Don’t text your ex. Just don’t do it. It’s not worth the minor satisfaction of seeing them reply immediately. There’s a reason why that door is closed, try to remember it.  

Do try your best to really spend time with your family. I’m sure this seems like a given, but it’s easy to hide in your room and think nothing of it. You might miss out on some good ol’ fashioned bonding. 

Don’t spend all the your hard-earned, working girl cash on cute bikinis for summer or makeup that you really don’t need just because going to the mall is the only thing to do. Save that for when you can really travel.   

Do think about the summer internship applications that may have looming deadlines. There’s nobody better than a parent to give your resume or cover letter another look. 

Don’t worry about all the weight you might gain while stuffing your face in your mom-stocked kitchen. Eat that extra cookie, sister. You deserve it. And you’ll probably end up losing it all again when you go back to the school that pretty much starves you. 

Do hit the town. Go explore what your hometown has to offer. Yes, school breaks at home can suck, but with the right amount of independence and alcohol, it doesn’t have to. 

Don’t link up with those friends who only hit you up during school breaks. If they’re not checking on you at least a couple times throughout the semester, they don’t really care. Sorry you had to hear it here. 

Do spend a little time working on projects that are just for you. Sometimes, our semesters can get so busy that we forget why we’re studying and doing what we’re doing. Take a little time to renew your passion if you need to. 

Don’t feel like you have to be doing something all the time. Don’t be constantly on your phone watching your peers seemingly have the time of their lives. Social media is a lie, just saying. 

Do remember that spring break means your semester is already halfway over. Get your goals in line and come back to school ready to finish strong!

I am a Writing, Literature, and Publishing senior at Emerson College but I'm originally from Tampa, Florida. I love writing and I hope to eventually be writing for a magazine or an online lifestyle publication. I love music and entertainment writing as well as traveling and baking.
Emerson contributor