World Leader Carolyn Miles Embodies Women Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Our society today has grown tremendously over the past few decades with women holding jobs and roles that used to be viewed as positions for men only. Today, 57 percent of women in the United States are a part of the labor force. Women hold some of the most empowering positions in our country, and we shouldn’t stop there

We, as women, are in charge of keeping this growth going and standing out in our society. When you see a chance to change something to make it better, implement an idea, or take advantage of an opportunity, do it!

Take Carolyn Miles, for example. Miles is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Save the Children. If you do not know already, Save the Children is an organization that gives children in the United States and all over the world a “healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm.”

Miles is someone who I view as a role model for myself, and someone all of us can use as someone to look up to. She has been my neighbor in my hometown my whole life, and as I have grown up, I’ve watcher her achieve unbelievable things. I’ve watched her balance her family of three children and a husband, devote time to her health, put her heart and soul into Save the Children, and never miss a school meeting for her kids. She is truly one incredible woman.

Miles joined Save the Children in 1988, started as Chief Operating Officer and now holds a high leadership position allowing the organization to double the number of children they help. Working her way up this successful and incredibly meaningful path that Save the Children has provided her with, she is now named one of the 50 World’s Greatest Leaders by Fortune Magazine. She also was inducted to the CT Women’s Hall of Fame. Her dedication to the welfare and wellbeing of others, specifically children, is what makes me proud to be in today’s society where woman take such amazing roles, and proud to be able to know such a human like Carolyn Miles.

When it comes to seizing any opportunity that comes your way that can help shape the society around us, don’t hold back. Who knows, maybe one day you can be one of the World’s Greatest Leaders.

Fairfield, Connecticut Elon University, Class of 2019