Weekend Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As a college student, it’s almost guaranteed that your plans for Friday night are to go out and party with friends. But maybe it’s cold and rainy, you’re tired or you just don’t feel like going out. What’s a collegiate to do? If this is the case, there are several cool alternatives that you can do by yourself or with friends to ensure that you still have a fun and relaxing night.

Movie marathon according to genre

Do you have a passion for classic horror movies? Have you been dying to watch the original “Bring It On” and every single ridiculous sequel? A weekend night can be the perfect time to remind yourself of what it is you love so much about your favorite movies. Simply pick a category and make the night into a movie-watching event, complete with popcorn, candy and cuddling up in bed or on the couch.

Apples to Apples
Drunken shenanigans don’t have to be the only way to get a laugh. “Apples to Apples” is continuously ranked as one of the most hilarious group games, so it’s a sure way to bond with friends and have perfectly sober fun. For a list of variations on the rules to make things even more interesting, go to http://www.com-www.com/applestoapples/applestoapples-rules-variations.html.

Explore your area
Have you ever felt like you’ve lived somewhere for a while, yet barely know anything about it? Take the night as an opportunity to go sight seeing around campus or your town. Drive around with friends and stop at anything that looks interesting, from a weird statue to a restaurant with a silly name or sign. Make sure to take pictures to document your adventures.

Clothes Swap
Accept it- there are at least 10 items in your closet that you’re probably never going to wear again. Since your friends probably have the same issue, have everyone get together and bring at least five items each to swap with the others. Make the swap into an event by ordering pizza and having a late-night fashion show of all your new, free finds.

For more than 100 ideas about what to do on a weekend night (party and non-party related), go to http://www.snmag.com/MAGAZINE/SATURDAY-NIGHT/101-Things-to-do-on-a-Saturday-Night.html.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.