Tyler Marenyi, also known as T-MARE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

HC Elon: Tell us a little about yourself!
Tyler Marenyi: My name is Tyler Marenyi, I’m a 21 year old finance major/accounting minor. I was born in Stamford, Connecticut but my family lives in Raleigh, NC now. Fun fact would be that I love cooking? Me and my roommates whip up some gourmet meals on the regular. All are welcome to our delicious feasts.

HC: What is your claim to fame?
TM: Music writing/producing. I started making mash-ups and doing some mixing in the later parts of high school. When I got to Elon, I took a intro to music tech class and it really got me interested in the whole compositional and sound design aspect to music production. I began working on remixes and original creations and learning the in’s and out’s of the software I was using. Then, when I was in Florence studying abroad, I wrote my first two full songs and they were picked up by a record label called Rockforce Records based out of the UK. Those guys were a big help in getting my foot in the door. Since then I’ve worked with another label called Audio Planet Recordings to release a single and some remixes. Recently I’ve been giving away my music for free, as it is MUCH more effective in getting your name out there to the world. I’ve been lucky enough to be featured on blogs/websites like EDM Insider, Dancing Astronaut, and Dirty Mexican Lemonade.

HC: Any people or musicians that inspire you?
TM: Inspirations are far and wide. I stared getting into music originally in high school with some red hot chili peppers, arctic monkeys, and other rock type things. Then moved to electronic influences as the years went by. Many of my main influences today are other electronic artists like Zedd, Mord Fustang, Wolfgang Gartner, and Porter Robinson.

After my music started getting a little attention I got some request for DJing events. I had never DJ’d before, but I bought a little live mixer and in the last year or so I’ve been picking it up. Since then I’ve gotten booked for shows with Afroman (September 26th), Styles & Complete, and The Dean’s List (Sept. 21st) here at Elon and a few other shows locally around NC (Wilmington, Raleigh). I fortunately know a few guys out in LA who graduated from Elon and are managers for some electronic artists named “gLAdiator” who have been doing fairly well. I may test my luck and pursue music and touring and all that good stuff once I graduate.

HC: That’s awesome! Why should other students get involved with what you do?!
TM: Because electronic dance music is awesome, and the music festivals related to it are a blast.

HC: What else do you do at Elon and your free time?
TM: Cooking Club! If I’m not out with my friends or doing school work there is a pretty good chance I’m writing music. I’ve talked to some managers and seen glimpses of possibly touring when I graduate, which would be too good to be true. We’ll see where things go.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.