The Stigma of Mental Illness on Elon’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

The Stigma on Your Mind

In the United States, depression is the most common women’s health problem and has proven more persistent in women than men, studies show. Furthermore, our culture’s gender bias towards women means that doctors are more likely to diagnosis woman with depression than men. At Elon, only 15% of Elon’s population utilizes the campus-counseling services according to Jana Lynn Patterson, the Associate Dean of Student Health and Wellness. Why is this issue on campus so under-discussed and untreated?

Waking up every morning for class is an already exhausting feat for the every day college student. But when you’re feeling weighed down, and pulled in a hundred different directions, waking up can seem almost impossible. Students suffering from various mental illnesses are all over campus, walking down the street, eating at Pandora’s Pies, or even getting ready with you to go out to a party. Yet when asked in a survey if they know anyone with a mental illness, only half of the participants said that they personally knew someone who was diagnosed with one. A female junior at Elon who wished to remain nameless states “I was afraid to tell anyone about how I was feeling and what I was going through. I felt invisible, like no one knew the real me.”

We maintain an air of positivity, and a sound mind on Elon’s campus, however many mistake mental health for mental illness. Mental health is something widely talked about on campus, however when finding your Zen and spending “me time” isn’t enough, what do you do then?

Living with a mental illness is in no way easy and we all express ourselves in unique and different ways, however talking about the issue is the first step in decreasing the stigma sur

rounding it. By finding a close friend, a family member, or even a professional to share you feelings with, we can finally stop treating mental illness as something to be ashamed about. Whether it’s a feeling of loneliness, stress, or any of the number of emotions that people suffering with a mental illness feel, finding a positive way to discuss it is a beneficial step.

Photo Credit: www.friendsmakingadifference.com

As the semester draws to a close and stress is high with deadlines and job interviews, remember that you have a lifeline of supporters who want to see you succeed. Remember that the semester will draw to a close and with the summer comes a fresh start. Also keep in mind that Elon’s campus has groups such as SPARKs and the counseling service that offer an ear to listen and free advice on

how to understand your mind and how you’re feeling. Elon always talks about being one community and our campus needs to be just that for people who feel like they are alone in their struggles.

If you or a friend feel like you need help, reach out to Elon’s counseling services at (336) 278-7280.

I am a senior at Elon University majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in professional writing. I love writing, fashion, and London and hope to combine my passions as a career some day. When I'm not doing homework I am probably binge watching new girl or finding new gluten free recipes online.