Starbucks Holiday Cups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Every fall, Starbucks lovers anxiously await the reappearance of the beloved holiday cups. Not knowing what they will look like as each new season approaches, it gives people something extra to look forward to during the Holidays. Let’s be honest, there’s something that makes any latte just a little more enjoyable when the barista serves it in that red cup.

In past years, these cups have been considered very controversial. In 2015 Starbucks decided to debut their simple solid red design, which caused lots of backlash from many customers. People said they weren’t “Christmas-y” enough and some even thought the cups were “a war on Christmas.” In response Starbucks reassured customers there were no hard feelings toward any holiday in particular and instead, shared how the cups are meant to be a blank canvas for customers to create their own stories.

Just last week the 2017 design hit the stores and feedback among customers has been very positive. This is the first time in years the cups aren’t just red, but instead white with red accents. Leanne Fremar, the executive creator for Starbucks stated, “This year’s cup is intentionally designed to encourage our customers to add their own color and illustrations. We love the idea of everyone making this year’s cup their own.” With this new and creative idea, Starbucks has found yet another way to connect with their customers urging them to share their personalized holiday cups on social media platforms.

In addition to the holiday fun surrounding the cups, lets not forget about their yummy seasonal drinks that are back on the menu including the Chestnut Praline Latte, Caramel Brulée Latte, Gingerbread Latte, Eggnog Latte, and of course, the classic Peppermint Mocha.

Check out a timeline of the evolution of the famous holiday cups!

I am a junior at Elon University from Connecticut! I am pursuing a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Journalism with a minor in Business Administration and Sport and Event Management. I have a passion for writing and enjoy incorporating that with my love for fashion, fitness and pop culture. I hope to one day move out to Los Angeles and work in entertainment news.