This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

South Africa: Don’t Sleep On It!

After spending three weeks on a new continent, it is very safe to say that it is more than important to push yourself out of the comfort zone that we often fall into too easily. For the month of January, I had the privilege of visiting South Africa. This trip included so many different activities that brought me out of my comfort zone and got me to assimilate to the culture.

The first week was spent in Cape Town, which is my new favorite place on this planet. The city has so much to offer and I feel like I was able to take full advantage of that. Some of my favorite activities that I did while I was there was climbing Table Mountain, going skydiving, and visiting the beautiful wine vineyards. The first day of our trip we hiked two hours to the top of Table Mountain, where we got views of the entire city. We were able to see the mountains and the landscape of the country for miles. The views were some of the most breathtaking I have ever witnessed.

Skydiving was by far my most favorite part of the trip. This was something that I had always dreamed of doing and finally had the opportunity to do in Cape Town. If there is one thing that everyone needs to do on this Earth, it is skydiving. It was by far the most exhilarating and thrilling experience. It creates a feeling that is unmatched by anything and I simply cannot recommend it enough.

The vineyards in Cape Town are picturesque. The winery that we visited was called Cape Point Vineyards and was up on a hill. To the right of it were the mountains that can be seen from every spot in Cape Town and it overlooked the coastline. If anyone was to visit Cape Town, this is one of the first places that I would direct them to. The views are incomparable and a must see for sure.

One of my other favorites part about my trip was my visit to Kruger National Park. We only spent three days there but those days were my most memorable. The first day we went on a safari where we saw elephants and giraffes more up close than I ever thought possible. The next day we were able to see zebras and lions both at night and during the say. Seeing these animals all in their natural habitat was a dream and something that everyone must put on their bucket list.

If you are ever considering taking a trip, South Africa is a place that needs to be added to everyone’s list. It is by far one of the most beautiful and scenic places and will never leave anyone feeling disappointed!

I'm a sophomore at Elon and I love fashion!