Photos of all Her Campus Elon executive board members taken by our team photographer
Original photo by Sophia Valentino
Style > Beauty

So, You’re Contemplating Getting Curtain Bangs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Curtain bangs were perhaps one of the biggest hair trends of 2020, and it doesn’t seem that they’re going anywhere anytime soon. Curtain bangs, unlike straight-across bangs, are known as shorter in the center and longer on the sides to give off that perfect face-framing effect. 

In my opinion, they look great on everyone and are the perfect way to switch up your look if you’re tired of your current do. As someone that fell victim to the trend back in January, I am here to tell you everything you need to know before picking up the scissors- or better yet, going to the salon.

While curtain bangs are more low-maintenance than straight-across bangs, they still require daily styling. When I first got curtain bangs, I left the salon with my hair perfectly styled; complete with a blowout that flipped my bangs just the right way. I looked straight out of the movie Clueless with my new and chic do. 

About two hours post salon, my bangs started to fall flat and I was left unable to see. I was frustrated and spiraled into what I call a ‘post-haircut identity crisis.’ I tried heavy-duty hairspray, clips, a round brush with my hair dryer, but I couldn’t seem to get my bangs to look how they did in the salon. 

The truth- I never did again. But, I have learned to style them in my own way using the Revlon One-Step Volumizer Hair Dryer brush. The Revlon hair dryer brush keeps my hair looking voluminous all day long, and more importantly, my bangs out of my face. I also use a Conair Mega Self Holding Roller and bobby pins when I’m looking for more of a lift in my bangs. These items have saved my hair and simplify my morning styling process.

With summer around the corner, It’s important to note that bangs will stick to your face, and it is going to be unpleasant because of the heat. I have experienced this unpleasantry while working out, and it is probably one of my least favorite parts about having curtain bangs. Although you can easily combat this discomfort with a headband or clips, it’s something to think about before you head to the salon for a new summer haircut.

With this being said, I love my curtain bangs and do not regret getting them. They make me feel so fun and trendy. I highly recommend getting curtain bangs if you are ready to make a few small changes to your styling routine.

Chloe Adams is a Campus Correspondent at Elon University entering her senior year.