This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

We have all seen the viral Tik Tok trends about various beauty life hacks that will “change your skin forever” but what is really true? We will never really know unless we try it for ourselves.

Coronavirus and quarantine have given us a lot of free time to be able to explore all these different regimens, like cleansing multiple times or the various spot treatments. There are a few steps I recommend taking before diving into all the different recommended products out there. 

Firstly, find out what your skin type is!

Knowing if you have oily, dry, combination (or anything in between) skin can make all the difference when it comes to knowing what to buy. So many products we think will be good for our skin aren’t, companies just market them so they seem the most appealing to everyone! With sensitive skin and dryness, a lot of people love the Cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser because it is gentle and extra moisturizing. For oily skin, the BHA Exfoliant by Paula’s Choice Skincare is a great product because it reduces pores and improves skin texture. One product that I live by for my combination skin is Vitamin C oil. I get the Tree of Life Vitamin C that is so affordable and has saved my skin, clearing my acne and helping with my dark spots.

Secondly, know your price range!

Of course, there are products that are amazing and very expensive but there are also products that are equally as good and way more affordable. Especially being a college student, I invest in cheaper products to save money. A lot of the times the more expensive skincare products have the same ingredients and benefits as those you could find at a drugstore, such as Garnier’s Micellar Water, which has the same effects as Bioderma’s Micellar Water, but for half the price. Another great dupe is the Ordinary Cold-Pressed Virgin Marula Oil. It gives the same moisture and glow as the Drunk Elephant Marula Oil, but for a quarter of the price. 

Thirdly, listen to recommended products on social media platforms!

One main product that I have seen on Instagram and Tik Tok is pimple patches. They are true miracle workers. Pimple patches are hydrocolloid stickers that you place over any pimple and after 24 hours of wear, the patches get all the debris that is clogging your pores out. Not only are they one of the best spot treatments, but they are also a super affordable option for everyone to deal with imperfections. This is one of the products that I have seen that seem to work with just about everyone and every skin type. Check our TikTok, Instagram, or Facebook for more cool products!

I am a student at Elon University, majoring is Strategic Communications.