Scott Richardson-Executive Producer of Elon Tonight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Tell us a little bit about yourself…

Dark. Mysterious. Classically handsome. I think that sums it up.

But if you need to know more, I’m a senior cinema major, hailing from Falls Church, Virginia. I’m the Executive Producer of Elon Tonight, which keeps me busy. It’s essentially a full time job. I love the show and the people involved. We have 62 members and they’re the best people I know.

Claim to fame…

Fame. It started in pre-school. I played Frog #3 in a Kindergarten production of Peter Rabbit. It was all uphill from that point.

What inspires you?

Everybody needs a good support group. And I have an amazingly supportive group of friends. They’re what keep me going. Elon Tonight requires such a ridiculous time commitment that it’s easy to get overworked and stressed. Having people to lean on is an amazing gift and I feel very fortunate.

Another inspiration of mine is my Dad. When I think of inspiration, I think of him. I’m incredibly lucky to have someone like him in my life. He encourages me, challenges me, and inspires me to be the best me I can be.

Break it down for us… (what’s it all about?)

It’s all about passion. Finding a passion and following it. Whether it’s academic, professional, or extracurricular, you have to do what you love. That’s what I get out of Elon Tonight. It’s hard work. More work than you would believe. But the benefits are unreal. I get to work with my closest friends to create some awesome material that other people enjoy. It’s a dream come true and I’m going to miss it like crazy when I graduate.

Why should other students get involved?

Students who want to get involved with Elon Tonight have the opportunity to get hands-on experience within the first week of being a part of our show. Everyone on our show works hard. If you want to be here, we want you here too.

Although it is a sketch comedy show, we take what we do very seriously. We put in the most hours and produce the least amount of content of any other ESTV show, but I’m proud of every single second of content that has our name on it. And we’re getting the chance to show off our best work at our Fall Showcase thanks to SUB Live. At 8pm on November 30 SUB is sponsoring our premiere screening in Larose Digital Theatre. Everyone should come check it out. It’s so much fun.

Regardless of whether or not Elon Tonight is right for you, it’s super important to get involved. If you’re not involved then you’re really limiting yourself. Joining a club or an organization allows you to try new things. And I wish I had more time to try things. That’s when I’ve learned the most about myself. There are so many opportunities that present themselves in these four years. Now is the time to find what you love and pursue it.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I’ve got an on-campus job working for Elon Television, but that’s about it. I live and breathe Elon Tonight. It’s a part of me. I think about it all the time. Some might consider it unhealthy.

I donate all of my spare time to improving the show and strengthening it for the future. As a leader of the organization I feel like I owe it to myself and to those involved in the show to do whatever I can to make sure everyone is getting as much value out of the experience as possible.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I’m convinced “free time” is an urban legend. I’ve heard rumors and I’ve seen pictures, but I think it’s a made up thing. My spare time usually consists of me trying to catch up on sleep.

But If I have any extra time whatsoever, I try to spend it with my friends and the people that mean a lot to me. No matter how busy things get, I have to make time for that.

Thanks, HC!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.