Review of Grammys 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Or should we call them the Adele Awards?  Anyone who loves music waits for this day all year long.  Anticipation growing throughout the month of January as you cross your fingers that the one song that’s been stuck in your head everyday for the past twelve months wins song of the year. Kicking off with memories of music industry legend, Whitney Houston, the show whipped up some of the most creative and diverse performances in recent years, and closed on an emotional note.

With acts of all genres, combinations, and ages, Lady Gaga’s anti-climactic fashion choice was the least surprising factor of the 2012 Grammy Awards.  Opening with the perfectly in-step dance moves by Bruno Mars and Chris Brown, the audience was ready for an energetic evening.  With no idea of what the night held in store, the first duet by Coldplay and Rihanna was interesting without really moving anyone from their seats. 

After announcing Lady Antebellum winning country album of the year (yay!) and Bon Iver winning best new artist (bigger yay!) the mixture of performances continued.  Maroon 5 and Foster the People honored the legendary Beach Boys only to have the originals pop out and rock out harder than any 70 year olds I’ve ever seen. Followed shortly after by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder, this year’s Grammy’s had more old people than a Golden Corral Buffet.

Not to say that these performances weren’t amazing and memorable, especially compared to the controversial show put on by Nicki Minaj.  If Twitter gave any indication, people were less than thrilled with her new song ‘Roman Holiday.’  In the anti-religious inspired sketch, Nicki was criticized for ‘mocking God’ and according to Fox News, some stations even went to commercial during her song. 

Before the closing awards of the night, Jennifer Hudson stepped out to honor her idol Whitney Houston.  With a rendition of “I Will Always Love You” that silenced the house, Whitney was sent off with style.  Finally, the most magnanimous awards of the night; Record of the Year and Album of the Year were given to Adele, rounding of her winning record at six for six.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.