Places to Find an Internship for this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It’s that time of year when you are starting to look for summer internships! Here are some great resources for you wherever you are in your search:

Elon Career Services offers advice on search techniques, resume and cover letter tips and interview skills and workshops. Make an appointment with a staff member or just use their website to help.

Elon Job Network, which is part of Elon Career Services, lets you post your resume and search for internships and job openings. Local places are listed on the site if you want to stay at Elon for the summer, but there are also opportunities from across the nation listed. You can enter your search criteria based on location, whether is it paid or unpaid and your field of interest. 

Intern Queen has many internship postings. You can search by field, location and when you want the internship (e.g., summer, fall or spring). Many internships are related to communications and include well-known companies with offices in the bigger metropolitan areas like New York, Boston, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles.

InternshipsUSA is an online resource that provides links to internship opportunities in many areas, including community and social service agencies, international affairs, women’s rights, media, America’s top companies, sports, law and policy, state parks, resorts, Congress, human rights, history, and advertising agencies.  Call the Elon Career Center at 336-278-6538 for the user name and password, then select “the Internship Series on line” link. 

Company websites often have “Careers” or “Employment” links that list internship opportunities. Even if none are listed, you can e-mail someone to ask.

Resume Tips:
•  Keep it to one page – take off high school information, include extracurricular if you hold a leadership position and job/internship/volunteer experience
• Quantify results of what you did – for example “increased donations by 250%
• Match your skills to the job description
• Have more than one type of resume saved for different positions

Photo Source-Elon University

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.