Patrick Clanton-Elon Stage Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

What is your year and major/minor(s)? Where are you from originally?
I’m a 2nd year music theatre major. I’m originally from Garner, NC.

What shows have you been involved with at Elon and what roles did you play?
I’ve been involved with four mainstage productions at Elon: Children of Eden (Father), RENT (Tom Collins), Ajax (Chorus) and Hair (Hud Johnson).

Which show/role was your favorite? Why?
I’ve loved all the roles I’ve played so far, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Collins in RENT. I’d wanted to play that role ever since I saw the movie; so getting to play it at Elon alongside the most talented people in the world was amazing! Plus, I got to be Anthony Bruno’s (Angel) boyfriend for a month, and who wouldn’t want that?

What is it about Musical Theatre that attracts you the most?
The feeling of community that comes with theatre is so wonderful. I’ve met so many wonderful people while doing theatre that treat me like family. The theatre community is the most accepting and wonderful thing to be involved with and I am so grateful to be a part of it.

If you weren’t doing Musical Theatre, what would your major most likely be?
I ask myself this question all the time, and I have yet to come up with an answer for it. There’s a quote that says something along the lines of, “If you can think of anything else to do, do it instead.” For as long as I’ve been doing theatre I haven’t thought of anything else I’d rather do, so I must be in the right place.

Where would you like to see yourself in 10 years?           
The dream for almost anyone majoring in music theatre is to be on Broadway as soon as possible, so I’d love to see myself there. Wherever I end up, I just want to be able to do what I love.

Is there an interesting fact that no one or hardly anyone knows about you?
When I was 5 I almost drowned in a pool in Florida. I apparently thought I knew how to swim and jumped into the deep end. Luckily, my grandmother was watching me and screamed for my dad to jump in and save me. If it weren’t for her, I might not be here today. Thanks grandma!

What aspect of the holiday season are you looking forward to the most?
THE FOOD! I’m a big boy, and the holidays are filled with great food, so I always look forward to this time of year (honey-baked ham is my favorite). But I truly love spending time with my family and friends. All the gifts are great, but nothing beats the company of the people who love you.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.