New Year, New Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It’s that time of year again.  The weather is getting colder and it’s slowly tiptoeing towards the New Year.  So amongst the craziness that comes with the end of the year, every collegiette™ must take some time to sit back and think about their resolutions for 2012.  Do you want to get better grades? Lose weight?  Learn a new language?  All New Years resolutions sound great and exciting when you make them, but lets be real, on average, most people give up on them within the first few months of the New Year. 

So what’s an Elon collegiette™ to do?  Here are some great ideas for New Years Resolutions that you may not have thought of in the past that are easy to maintain and an amazing way to have an incredible year. 

Get in touch with old friends…and stay in touch!   Everyone has those friends from their childhood that they still think about from time to time.  Stop just thinking about them and take some action! Facebook is a great tool for getting in contact with old friends, so take the time to look them up and reconnect. You might be surprised – they’ve probably been wondering how you’ve been doing too!

-Stay more up to date with current events.  A collegiette™ should be well informed, so make one of your New Years Resolutions to be more on top of current events.  This doesn’t have to mean reading the newspaper every day.  It can be as simple as turning the television on to a news station while you’re getting ready in the morning.  Don’t have a television? Not a problem, you can listen to a variety of news radio stations online.

-Be more environmentally friendly.  It’s your world, so resolve to take care of it!  You can do simple things, like make sure you’re recycling everything the things that you can and not littering, but there are larger things you can do as well.  When you go shopping you can make sure to buy environmentally friendly goods, especially food products.  Buying sustainable products can make a big difference and every little bit counts.

-Cut soda out of your diet.  If you’ve had this as one of your resolutions in the past to lose weight but have had trouble with it, try doing something simpler like cutting out soda.  By just cutting this out you can easily lose a few pounds without even having to think about it too much.  It’s great for your health and it’s even better for your teeth.  If you’re feeling especially ambitious try drinking only water.  You’ll start seeing changes in a few weeks. 

-Start a blog. In school you have to do so much work for a designated purpose.  Why not have a place where you can share your thoughts with the world and just write for you?  Start a blog about whatever you want, it can be pictures or music or just your everyday ramblings.  Tumblr is a great website where you can start up your own beginner blog.

-Read a book every month.  With all the pressure on students to do work at school sometimes students just need to relax and do some reading of their own.  Take some time for yourself every month and just try to read a book. It’s a great way to keep your mind stimulated and a fantastic way to focus on something you’re interested in.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.