This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Name: Emily Cefalu

Hometown: Lake Tahoe, California

Major: Political Science with a minor in Policy Studies

What organizations are you involved with on campus?

I am a part of a sorority on campus, Zeta Tau Alpha, and they have brought me my home away from home. They also motivate me every day to be my best self because it is filled with so many other strong and independent women. I also joined the Elon ROTC program this year.

Why did you decide to join ROTC?

I went to a military boarding school that wasn’t military for the girls but, I loved the structure and I always found it intriguing. I am not from a military family but, we are very patriotic and the 4th of July is one of our favorite holidays. We also love singing the national anthem. My brother got involved in the ROTC program and he inspired me. I also wanted to serve and protect my country.

What advice do you for someone who thinks they want to enroll in ROTC?

I would say to expect to be overwhelmed in the beginning and that you won’t know everything in the beginning and you’ll have to figure it out on your own. You also have to be physically fit. ROTC is also something that is a lifelong commitment, it’s not like joining other clubs. If you decide to do a contact you have to serve for a minimum of 4 years. As a woman, you have to be confident in your abilities because you’re a minority in the army and you have to be comfortable in leading men and all different kinds of people. You also can’t let anyone get you down because you’re a woman.

What are your plans after school regarding ROTC?

I plan to serve for at least 4 years in the army. I’m not sure exactly what I want to do yet specifically though.  

Hi, I'm Olivia! I am from Massachusetts and am a current Sophomore at Elon. I'm majoring in Public Health with a minor in communications. I love writing about fashion and entertainment!