woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

A Letter From a Senior to Underclassmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

I am at least a year older than most of you, maybe even three or four, but we have a lot more in common than you think. Whatever our reasoning, we picked the same beautiful university. We choose out of the hundreds of schools in the country to have this experience. We enjoy engaged learning, warm weather, a stunning campus, brick walkways, white pillars and small class sizes. We want to be here, and every day we choose to be here.

You may walk around campus intimidated by us. Maybe you avert your eyes when we walk past you during class exchange. Maybe you avoid sitting near us in class. We may come off as stuck-up, abrasive, rude or obnoxious. Whatever it may be, there is only one reason: we are all jealous of you.

You have the best three and a half years of your life ahead of you, and our college experience is finally coming to a close. Graduation is a weird concept. You think you will never get there. When you talk about it, it feels like you are talking about unicorns and leprechauns. Does either really exist or are they figments of our imagination? It tastes sour and unfamiliar yet accomplished when we it’s brought up in conversation. It’s a beacon of light we can see clearly now and it’s less than 100 days away.

We would give anything to be you. To be the youngest at a party, to not know 75% of the people around you in Westend and be able to make a fool of yourself without ending up on @ElonMakeOuts or Greek Rank. To experience everything for the first time again.

Yet, there’s a lot we would have done differently. Here’s our advice:

Greek letters are just letters. Your affiliation doesn’t matter. If you’re in a Greek organization, build friendships and be involved. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my college career, but it shouldn’t be a defining one. By senior year, you will be friends with every organization and not even think twice about who’s doing better in recruitment or on Greek Rank.

Don’t spend your Saturdays hung-over, caving in your bed and sleeping your life away. There are so many incredible things to do in North Carolina. Go hiking, drive to Asheville, take a Red Oak tour, and experience a new restaurant. More than likely, you will move away after your graduation and won’t have the opportunity to do these things again.

Take a class just because it interests you. You don’t have to stick to classes within your major. Be curious; you won’t be able to exercise your interests this easily when you have a career and other responsibilities.

Don’t take anything too seriously. It’s easy to get worked up over a bad test grade or a guy, but remember grades won’t define you and most guys you meet at Elon won’t be your husband.

When it comes to guys, if you aren’t happy then end it. If you spend 90% of your “relationship” complaining to your girlfriends (or worse, his friends) about him, or trying to define the relationship to yourself, then get out of it. Be honest with yourself. If you aren’t being treated the way you think you should be, then stop asking for it, crying about it, complaining about it and just do something about it.

Walk through campus at least once a week. Unless you live past LabCorp or Oak Hill, your commute to campus couldn’t be more than a 20 minute walk. Avoid the infamous Elon parking patrol and take advantage of having the privilege of going to the most beautiful university in the country.

Do something out of your comfort zone. Study abroad, take a road trip.

These years are your highest and lowest points. At times you will be on top of the world, and others you will feel so alone you won’t be able to put it into words. Regardless of what you are feeling on a particular day, remember that these are the last days to a life of little responsibility and large possibilities, in comparison to “the real world.” Be grateful for every one before you reach your 100-day graduation countdown.