How To Rock Your Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Now I know you may be thinking, “I just finished worrying about finals! Now I have to worry about an internship too?!”  Wrong.  Internships are a great way to learn the things you love (or may not love so much) about a future job opportunity.  And as long as you stay professional they can be fun too!  Here are a few tips to be the best intern possible.

1. Stay Positive.  Even if your internships isn’t quite what you expected (or hoped for), it’s important to always take tasks with a positive attitude, whether they’re exciting or dull.  Enthusiasm can go a long way in becoming a part of a company in the future!

2. Go Early, Stay Late.  Employers will always remember someone who arrives early and leaves late—it shows dedication to the position, no matter how small it is.  Putting in more hours is also a good way to make more contacts within the organization.

3. Do Some Research.  Before you begin your internship, research your company.  Knowing more about current projects or objectives for the business you’re interning with will impress your new boss and make you look like an on-the-ball employee!

4. Be Professional.  Remember to always act professionally both inside and outside the workplace.  You must present yourself responsibly while at work and even when going out with other employees.  You’re always being evaluated for a potential future position!

Following these steps will help to make your interning experience the best it can be and maybe even lead to a future job one day. So good luck, have fun and always work hard!

Photo Credit-Professional Dress

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.