How to Have a Philanthropic Fall 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

It seems like every Elon student has got it all together. Not only is everyone nice and outgoing, but they’re also taking on rigorous, academic schedules, as well as managing fit and healthy lifestyles and sustaining an active social life. As well rounded as this sounds, there is one more aspect that us, overachievers, should get involved in…philanthropy!

It feels as though the new school year has finally managed to settle in as schedules are memorized, dining option allegiances have been declared, and dorms start to feel like home. Everyone knows what they are wearing and where they are going on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights… but what about all of those afternoons? During these daylight hours, students have free time and are still in search of distractions from the mountains of homework and responsibility faced daily; so, why not use this time for philanthropy!  There are so many incredible organizations, nonprofits, and volunteer opportunities offered both on campus and out in the greater Elon/Burlington/Greensboro community that we, as Elon students, should take advantage of. The range of options is broad and can encompass almost any level of interest and commitment. We’ve compiled a list of several organizations that you can get involved in around campus. Take a look!

If you enjoy being outside and playing with puppies or kittens, Paws4Ever might be for you. Paws4Ever is an adoption center, training center, and dog park. You could host a supply drive, become a legacy care provider for a foster animal, participate in a cat garden planting party, walk dogs, socialize cats, or help with community events (just to name a few). To get involved fill out the online registration form and attend a volunteer training session at the center.  

Image retrieved from http://www.paws4ever.org/  

If you enjoy working with kids, get involved with the “It Takes a Village” Project! This tutoring program uses a collaborative approach to help local children who struggle to read. Elon students, traditionally those who are majoring in education, are paired together for weekly tutoring sessions at May Memorial Library in downtown Burlington. The program allows children to access a wealth of resources and knowledge, and gives their parents an opportunity to learn different techniques that they can use at home to help improve reading skills. Watching the kids’ reading levels increase week by week is gratifying and exciting, and this is such a great way to give back to the wonderful community that we are a part of.

Image retireved from http://www.elon.edu/e-web/academics/education/village/default.xhtml

Another awesome option for community service is Get On the Bus. Ever. The Kernodle Center offers this program on Friday afternoons in September and October, during which a Biobus takes students to one of many community partners for an afternoon of service. There is no need to plan ahead or even sign up, just get on the bus! Look online for more details and information.

Image retireved from http://www.elon.edu/e-web/students/servicelearning/prospective_service.xhtml

If you have limited time to give, a good way to give back is by support Greek philanthropy events. Each Greek organization on campus works with a specific philanthropy and organizes annual events to benefit their cause. For example, some of the upcoming events you can attend include: Tri Sigma’s Rocktoberfest on Sunday October 18th to support the Robbie Page Memorial, Tri Delta’s D-Hop on Wednesday October 15th to support St. Jude Children’s Hospital, and AXiD’s Xiti Dinner on Tuesday October 28th to support Autism Speaks.

Image retreived from https://vimeo.com/108087252

Philanthropy is an important piece of the puzzle that is often left behind due to busy schedules, absence of motivation, or lack of knowledge. Take ownership of your free time here at Elon, and get even more involved on or off campus to give back to the community.