This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

We’ve all been in this position–heartbroken, sad, and in desperate need of chocolate. When getting over a breakup nothing helps more than time, but here are a few tips to speed up the process just a little!

Tip #1: Grieve the loss

Yes, a breakup is a loss. You lost a major part of your life, probably something you attributed a lot of your happiness to. So, like any loss, you need to take the proper steps to recognize it. This a great excuse to hide in your comfy bed for a few days while eating chocolate and watching romcoms (I suggest The Proposal!)

Tip #2: BLOCK YOUR EX FROM EVERYTHING

This may seem a little harsh, but for now, it will be the best thing for you. Even if the relationship ended on good terms, it’s for your own sanity. It’s better to be safe than sorry and to not take the risk of seeing them post with a new person.

Tip #3: Get rid of everything that reminds you of them

Sweatshirts, pictures, gifts….everything means everything. I suggest not throwing these things out but instead gathering everything into a box and putting the box somewhere you’ll never see it. Out of sight out of mind.

Tip #4: Surround yourself with people at all times

Whether it’s your friends, family, or even just acquaintances, it’s important to be around people to keep your mind distracted. Friends are especially important when you’re thinking of texting them! Stay strong and don’t send the text!

Tip #5: Find new things that make you happy

It’s ok to admit that your significant other was the main source of your happiness, that’s not surprising. Now it’s time to find new things to fill that void. Maybe that’s writing, traveling, or even just spending more time with your friends. It’s important to always find things that make you happy.

Avery is currently studying Strategic Communications at Elon University and one day she hopes to work for a magazine in New York City. Some of Avery's passions include shopping, traveling, writing, coffee and trying new things!