Healthy Eating on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As college women, we are constantly on the go and under pressure to be smart and beautiful. Too often that means we skip meals or deny ourselves the nutrition we need. What could possibly make it worse? How about that budget you’re on for groceries each week? Now that the midterm has passed, try to use these next few weeks to get your diet and routine back on track – in a budget friendly way. Here are three delicious, diet conscious recipes that won’t break the bank and will hopefully inspire you to do more in your kitchen this winter.

Breakfast – Simple Omelet
• 2 large eggs
• ½ cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese (substitute for your favorite if you’d like)
• ½ diced red pepper
• ¼ diced tomato
• ¼ cup water

Whisk together eggs with water and poor into pre-heated small frying pan. As the edges begin to cook, use your spatula to form omelet and allow uncooked mixture to reach the pan. When nearly cooked through, add cheese, pepper and tomato to one side of the circle. Fold omelet in half and allow contents to heat through. This simple omelet serves as a great way to start your day!

Lunch – Chicken and Veggie Pesto Wrap
1 small boneless chicken breast
3 slices of tomato
2 slices fresh onion (as much or as little as you like)
2 tbs. pesto (fresh or jarred)
1½ cups shredded lettuce
1 whole-wheat wrap (or an exotic flavor if you want!)

Cut the chicken breast into thin slices, about a quarter inch thick. Heat a frying pan and put half of the pesto in before the chicken. Cook thoroughly and set aside. (The chicken can be cooked the night before if you want the sandwich cold).

Spread other half of the pesto onto one side of the wrap. Layer lettuce, chicken, tomato and onion, then fold wrap.

Dinner – Couscous and Veggies
1 serving of couscous
1/2 of 8.5 oz jar of julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes
3 cups of spinach (it cooks down so be generous)
Olive Oil (doesn’t have to be fancy!)
Crumbled goat cheese (a little goes a long way)
(Other vegetables are easy to add – check what’s on sale at the grocery!)

Heat olive oil in medium frying pan. Add sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted and all ingredients are hot. Cook the couscous according to the package’s instructions. Toss two dishes together and top with desired amount of cheese. This results in a gourmet meal in less than 20 minutes!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.