Guy Guide-All The Single Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Valentine’s Day, a day of love for couples across the country. However, it is also a day of insecurity and sadness for many others. This shouldn’t be. Before you get down on yourself this February 14th, take a moment to think of just how many of your friends are in a relationship. There probably aren’t nearly as many as we commonly think around this time of year.

I propose that Valentine’s Day can be difficult simply because of its connotation with love. Valentine’s Day is a 24-hour cloud that swarms upon the single members of our community making them feel they are alone on a day where everyone else may be off on some fancy date or receiving some semi-precious necklace. Yet if we take a step back and reanalyze the celebration of Valentine’s Day, it’s nearly as phony as celebrating Cinco de Mayo in the United States. Valentine’s Day in its truest practice is a religious holiday, honoring Saint Valentine. Are the couples we see displaying their unnecessary PDA really practicing Valentine’s Day or are they celebrating that they’ve found another day to canoodle for hours while waiting an hour to be seated at an uppity steakhouse?

I don’t mean to bash relationships. If both members of the couple are happy and contributing to the unity of the relationship equally, then power to them.  It’s just that on February 14th all the singles around campus should take some time to enjoy themselves. Take the night off to either amuse yourself or join your other single friends. I assure you that the singles outnumber the “love birds”.

If it really matters to you, have fun with the night. Make reservations for the group of single ladies at one of the typical Valentine’s Day restaurants. Go to a chick flick, get your nails done, have a dinner party with other friends; do something that makes you happy and takes your mind far away from the day. No one ever said you’re not supposed to celebrate with more than one person, so celebrate with everyone. Finally, as the title suggests, play Beyonce’s “Single Ladies.” Be proud of your independence and have a fun Valentine’s Day.

Best wishes,
B

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.