Grant Gustin of “West Side Story”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

For junior music theatre major Grant Gustin, a career in the performing arts is exactly what he has wanted since he was younger.  Gustin is making his Broadway debut as “Baby John” in the “West Side Story” National Tour.

Gustin, a Norfolk, Va. native, set the path for a career in the performing arts at 10, when he began tap dancing and received a role in a community theatre where he grew up.  He also attended the Governor’s School for the Arts in Virginia.

“I’ve always known this is what I’ve wanted to do,” Gustin said. “I always assumed it would happen because it’s what I wanted to do. I’ve worked hard and I was very optimistic. I definitely pictured myself doing this when I was younger.”

Gustin got cast for the tour in July 2010, after he went to an open audition in New York during spring break and was called back.  The cast has been on the road for four months; Gustin has a year contract, he says.

While at Elon, Gustin played various roles in “Sweeney Todd;” “Kiss Me, Kate” (suitor); “110 in the Shade” (“Jim Curry”); “Waldo and the Absolutely Amazing Afternoon” (title character) and other plays “here and there,” he says.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.