A Glimpse into Movie Production: Sophia Giuffre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

During January of 2018, film major Sophia Giuffre had the opportunity to attend the Sun Dance Film Festival as one of Elon University’s Study USA winter term programs! Sun Dance takes place in Park City, Utah every year with around 50,000 attendees annually. It is a program by the Sundance Institute, which is a non-profit organization that seeks to support the growth of artists. Sophia and 30 other students had the amazing opportunity to attend the festival, where she and others watched exclusive, not-yet-premiered movies and saw national and inter-national stars!

I got the chance to talk to Sophia about some of her experiences:

What was the coolest thing you saw while you were there?

“It had to be the producers and actors! I saw Usher, Bella Thorne, Chrissy Legend, Jack Black, and more. The best, though, was being only two feet away from Nicolas Cage!”

How did this trip correlate with your academic and career goals?

“I’m hoping to move to LA and go into movie production after graduation, so this was really right up my ally! It was amazing getting to see not only the new movies, but also the producers that made it happen. It was such a hands-on experience that really gave me the insight into what my career might look like.”

What genres of movies did you watch while you were there?

“It really ranged. One day I was watching thrillers and horrors, and one day I was watching dramas and documentaries. It was really cool to see all the talent across so many different types of movies. It was especially fun to see movies produced in other countries and compare the production styles.”

Would you recommend this trip to others?

“Absolutely! Whether you are a film major or not, Sun Dance was such a relaxed and upbeat atmosphere and was definitely a worth-while experience. It was amazing to see all of the stars and celebrate the successes of so many established individuals!”