Georgina Oram – One of the stars behind Panhellenic sorority recruitment (and she can sing!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

What is your name, graduation year and major here at Elon?

Georgina Oram, 2012, Political Science Minor: Women and Gender Studies

What was it that drew you to Elon?
Growing up I always knew I wanted to go to a school with a strong greek community, a beautiful campus, and a football team, but large 40,000 people schools really intimidated me. I really think Elon is the best of both worlds. It has the small liberal arts school education with the variety of majors offered but the large school appeal with great sports teams and a homey campus. 

What are some organizations that you are involved in here on campus?

I am a proud member of Alpha Omicron Pi and I also sing in Elon’s all female a capella group, Sweet Signatures. I also am a University Guide – which I love! I also have been an Elon 101 TA for Dr. Barbour for three years and I was an Orientation Leader for one year.

What was your position and role on Elon’s Panhellenic Council?

I am the outgoing director of recruitment for Elon’s Panhellenic Council. I have spent two long but rewarding years assisting with and running Panhellenic recruitment.

What was your favorite part about working on Panhellenic?

The Panhellenic community is really an amazing thing to be at the center of. Panhellenic women on campus have an amazing dedication to their organizations but also to greek life as a whole and in directing recruitment I had the opportunity not only to work with, but to get to know a lot of the women who are at the center of Elon’s greek life and who really are responsible for how strong it is. If that didn’t totally make sense, it really is the people that make Panhellenic great and they’re my favorite! 

Use one word to describe this year’s Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment.

This might sound weird but I would say Earnest – because I think we were really strong in our convictions and goal for the week and I think we did our best to display true intentions in why we as a council believe in greek life.

For those of us that don’t know, what is Sweet Signatures?

Sweet Signatures is Elon’s only female a capella group and is the second oldest a capella group on campus. 

Tell us something we don’t know about Sweet Signatures.

Sweet Sigs is actually gearing up to record our first Holiday Album at the end of this year, so although its February we currently are working on Oh Holy Night, Christmas is really lasting all year for us.

What has been your all time favorite song that you and the ladies of Sweet Sigs have sung?

Wally (originally by Aslyn) is a song that Sweet Signatures originally did about 6 years ago but that has captured the heart of everyone who has heard it. A little over a year ago the sigs had the most fantastic opportunity to attend and sing at the wedding of our president (Ashton’s) high school drama teacher. She and her fiancé had listened to our CD and Wally was her fiancé’s favorite song, so we learned it for their wedding. I sing the soprano part on that song with Ashton and love singing it. It is definitely my favorite!

Where can we get your CD?!

Our two most recent CDs are available on iTunes, which is pretty cool and high tech I think.  

Any plans after the “g” word…

California, here I come (home)! I have loved every second I have spent in North Carolina getting to know this beautiful state and this side of the country but I cannot wait to go back to Berkeley. No, I don’t have a job … yet. But, I’ve done a good job being optimistic! I am looking to break into the school administration scene be it admissions, annual giving, or anything in between! I’m mostly looking into K through 8, or K through 12 schools in the bay area just because that’s what I’m most familiar with – but we’ll see how that goes. I can’t wait to come back for my first homecoming as an Alumnae, though!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.