Decisions, Decisions-Tips on Choosing a Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As children, we are faced with commitments everyday. Which friend are we going to have a play date with? Which ice cream flavor are we going to chose? Who will we invite to our birthday party? However, as adults in college, we are faced with more serious commitments, including deciding what we will major in. Although this choice requires persistence and effort, we must face the idea that this commitment can very well shape the rest of our lives.
At Elon, nearly 11 percent of undergraduate students apply each year, not sure what they want to major in. As we find that almost 600 students each year don’t know what they want to focus on, we feel empathy for them in their search to find what inspires them. I know, as an involved cinema major, that if I did not know what my major was, I would feel slightly lost and pressured to make the right choice. However, for those of you who aren’t sure and are still contemplating what interests you, don’t feel anxious or pressure about your future.

Because Elon is not only concerned about life during college, but also life after college, Elon has created many different resources for students to find their niche, no matter what it may be. The best resource I have found is our Student Professional Development Center, which specializes in understanding each student’s strengths and values. In my first communications class, Ross Wade, the assistant director of Career Services for the School of Communications, spoke to us about getting our feet wet in the working world. He told us that before we commit to a job, we must choose our major with passion. At the Student Professional Development Center, Ross and many other motivating faculty members can help you discover your individual preferences.

My best advice to those of you stressing about what you want to focus on is to involve yourself in different activities. For example, if you enjoy writing, try working for the student newspaper. If you enjoy research studies, attend Surf Day! To really learn about all the different options Elon offers, attend the Fall Organization Fair on Friday, Sept. 7 from 4-6 p.m. on Young Commons in front of Moseley. The biggest mistake you can make is to sit in your room, waiting for your major to come to you. Personally, it wasn’t until I produced short films, participated in clubs, and interned for different companies that I knew cinema was for me.
However, if you still cannot decide what it is that you want to commit to, even after involving yourself in various activities, ask yourself this: “What do I enjoy and what can I see myself doing every day?” With services like the Professional Student Development Center, stimulating cultural events, and many different clubs, it is easy to participate instead of taking the back seat through college. The more you experience, the more you can hone in on what truly gives you joy. Yes, choosing your major is an intimidating and time consuming process, but Elon is here to help make committing to your passion an incredibly exciting time.

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.