Allie Solender – Elon’s Biggest Fan!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.
Name: Allie Solender
Year: 2012
Major: Physics and Secondary Science Education
Hometown: Scarborough, Maine
Claim to Fame: Elon’s Biggest Fan

HC: What sort of activities are you involved in on campus?
AS: I’m involved in physics club, Hillel, Pep Band, Marching Band, and I manage the men’s basketball team.
HC: What kind of leadership roles do you hold in these activities? 
AS: I was the President of the Physics Club and Hillel for 2 years and was a section leader for the ensembles.
HC: Can you tell me about your “Elon’s Live the Maroon Life Photo Contest” campaign? How did you hear about it? What was the process?
AS: Elon Athletics decided to run a photo contest where individuals submitted photos of themselves “Living the Maroon Life”.  My entry was a collage of pictures of me with friends that are student athletes while wearing the uniform that went along with that specific sport.  It wasn’t so much a contest to see who the biggest fan was, but it ended up that people who saw it referred to me as such.  I heard about it originally at a football game when I was tailgating with the men’s basketball team.  I spent a lot of time getting together with my student-athlete friends and taking silly pictures of us acting out their sport.  Then I put them all together, uploaded it to Facebook, and hoped that all of my friends would vote for me.  When they did I ended up winning a trip with the football team to Samford University for a game.  I got to hang out on the sideline with the players and everything!

HC: How have you benefitted from being “Elon’s Biggest Fan”? Are there any fun perks?

AS: My friends joke around and call me “Elon’s Biggest Fan” and I think it is probably one of the biggest compliments I could get.  I think the biggest benefit of being “Elon’s Biggest Fan” is knowing that the sports teams appreciate me and everyone else who comes to cheer them on.  I go to support my school and my sports teams; it isn’t about me being the biggest fan, it’s about me being part of something that represents Elon University.  I love this school and athletics is a huge part of the college experience and I found a way to participate in that even if it is just by cheering as a fan.  There definitely are some fun perks, or at least I think they are fun perks!  I’ve gotten to meet a lot of the individuals who work in the athletics department and they are amazing!  I wanted to go to App. State for the Men’s Soccer tournament and Erica Roberson in media relations helped find faculty advisors and the funding to get a van to drive a bunch of students there.  I also get the inside scoop on when events are going to happen, but I think that’s mostly because I ask so many questions.  I’ve met a lot of coaches and student-athletes as well and it just makes me feel like part of the team as corny as that sounds.
Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.