5 Must Pack Items for Spring Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Spring break is coming up (finally!) and many of us are heading off to the beach or just back to our homes. Wherever you’re off to, here are five must-pack items!

1. Lotion and/or sunscreen:  With luck, the weather will be warm and you’ll be showing some skin, so make sure your legs don’t resemble the Sahara and put on some moisturizing lotion, which will make your skin look and feel better immediately. If you’re lucky enough to be heading to the beach, grab lotion with aloe and don’t forget the sunscreen. Red, peeling skin is NOT attractive on anyone.
Get a great tan and make your friends jealous by starting off with higher SPF sunscreen and working down as you build up a tan. Don’t come back awkwardly peeling off skin because you couldn’t be bothered to put on any sunscreen on your first day at the beach after a long winter. Keep it safe and look better later.

My recommendations for lotion: Neutrogena Norwegian Formula lotion feels amazing and works like a dream. For sunscreen, try Aveeno’s face sunscreen to prevent breakouts from sunscreen clogging your pores and put on Banana Boat spray-on sunscreen—you’re less likely to miss spots with spray on lotion. Check out Banana Boat’s aloe in case of burn.

2. Sexy lingerie: SB is the perfect opportunity to meet some gentlemen and have fun! Even if you don’t plan on letting anyone actually see your black lace thong with matching bra, you’ll still feel sexier and more confident than you do in cotton granny-panties. That confidence will show and guys will notice. Victoria’s Secret is, of course, the go-to place for sexy lingerie, but if you can’t afford a $50 bra right now, check out some place like Target for cheaper clothing with just as much sex appeal.

3. Mascara: Even if you forget the rest of your makeup, or maybe just don’t feel like bringing it on break with you, mascara is a MUST.  It only takes a second to put on but it instantly widens and emphasizes your eyes.  And who can argue with those results?  Grab some waterproof mascara if you plan to spend time near water, as the raccoon look doesn’t work on everyone (see Taylor Momsen).  My recommendations: Clinique mascara is amazing if you have the money, but Maybelline Full ‘n Soft works just as well and is available at most drug stores. 

4. Spring dress:  It’s SB, you’re free from school and, with luck, you’re with your friends in an exotic location where sexy men abound. Dresses are cute and feminine, come in hundreds of styles and they’re fun to wear!  Added bonus: no clothing coordination necessary. Just thrown on your dress, grab a sweater if it’s chilly, put on some sandals or flats and you’re ready to go!  Bring a cover up for the beach or a little black dress for a night out on the town. Better yet, bring both and then some. Prepare for all contingencies and look spectacular in any situation. 

5. Chapstick: It’s impossible to even consider making out with the cute guy on the beach when your lips are chapped! It’s a horrible feeling and a worse look, so make sure to prevent it by packing your favorite chapstick, which will keep your lips looking soft and smooth 24/7. Recommendations: Burt’s Bee’s or, if you want chapstick with sunscreen included, try Banana Boat chapstick with SPF 15. Some board stores by the beach also carry Sex Wax chapstick, which is made by the surfboard wax manufacturers and smells and feels amazing.\

Grab these items and your friends and go wild!

Avery is a sophomore at Elon University majoring in Print Journalism. She's involved with the yearbook, Phi Psi Cli, and the newspaper, The Pendulum, as well as a four year honors program called Leadership Fellows, and is also a member of Alpha Xi Delta, Theta Nu Chapter. Born and raised at the real Jersey Shore, she loves the beach, traveling, writing, running, and shopping. She recently studied abroad in Costa Rica for January Term, and hopes to go abroad for a semester in the fall of 2011. She hopes to move to Manhattan after she graduates and work for a women's magazine. Avery is excited to have the chance to bring Her Campus to Elon University.