10 Ways to Maximize Storage Space in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

The reality of being a college student is that we often spend a lot of time unpacking and organizing our belonging into dorm rooms with less than abundant storage space.

Here are some tips to help make the most of minimal storage space:

Loft Your Bed

If possible, lofting your bed is a great way to great more space in a small dorm room. There are lots of things you can do with the extra space under your bed. One way to maximize the space is to purchase a clothing rack to create more hanging space for your clothing. You could also purchase drawers or other bins to store anything from shoes to clothing.

Hang Multiple Garments in the Same Spot

By using special hangers, soda can tabs, or chains and s-hooks, you can place hangers on top of one another to save horizontal space in the closet.

Use Shoe Boxes in your Drawers

Old shoeboxes are a great way to keep your t-shirts in order in your drawers.

Organize your Scarves

If you have a large scarf collection, there are a couple ways to keep them in order without taking up too much drawer space. Simply attach shower curtains rings to a hanger and hang your scarves from the rings. They will stay crease free and save you valuable drawer space.

Shoes, shoes, shoes!

Shoes piling up at the bottom of your closet are a huge waste of space. Instead, place a few tension rods at the bottom of your closet to put your shoes on or organize them under the bed or under another piece of furniture to save closet space.

Hang your Bags

Hanging handbags from shower curtain rings place on a hanger can save a lot of space. If you’re looking to save even more space, store additional items in the bags.

Two Hanging Rows

If you have extra space under the top row of clothing in your closet, install an extra clothing to house shorter garments such as pants and tops.

Store Out-of-Season Clothes

Out-of-state students are often carrying suitcases to and from college. You can put those suitcases to use in your dorm room by storing out of season clothes in them and sliding them underneath your bed.

Trays in the Drawers

Trying to store jewelry can be a pain, but this tip can help save space and prevent tangling. Buy a few divided trays and stack them up in your drawer to make the perfect storage space for all types of jewelry.

Storage Cubes

Open storage cubes are great to either stack in your closet or use as decorative pieces in your room. They create great storage space for anything from books to clothing.