This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

If you don’t know that Halloween is coming up in 10 days… here’s your reminder! If you are like me, you’ve been pushing off buying a costume since probably September 1st. Don’t get me wrong Halloween is one of my favorite holidays but there is so much pressure these days to find not only one costume but potentially three DIFFERENT costumes for this one holiday that has turned into a whole week of celebrations.

Being a college student who is currently unemployed and looking to save money, Halloween is a bit of an inconvenience. I mean, why would I want to spend money on a holiday that comes once a year? So if you are like me and want to find an inexpensive costume but still come out looking spectacular I have some suggestions for you (that may not be as basic as a black cat or a pirate-nothing against cats or pirates). 

Robber

This is a pretty simple costume, wear all black and even DIY a mask out of 1 sheet of black felt and cut some eye holes in it and you have yourself a costume. You can even print out fake money and tape it to you if you want to go the extra mile. 

Smarty Pants

All you need is some fake (or real) glasses and a whole lot of smarties to tape on your pants. Super fast and clever!

Breadwinner

Grab a few loaves of bread and some fake medals and call it a day with this simple yet iconic costume, showing who brings in the money!

Queen B

Buy a crown, wear a dress and tape on the letter “B” and call it a day! You will feel so confident in this Gossip Girl inspired costume, representing the one and only, Blair Waldorf.

Blue Man Group

This idea is super fun for a group of your friends to take part in. Paint yourself blue or buy a blue morph-suit and drum out with your best friends. This costume will sure to be a huge hit!

Free Britney Advocate

If you have been keeping up with the news lately then you may be aware of the movement surrounding Britney Spears to grant her autonomy from her conservatorship that started in 2008. Anyways, this movement has gained a huge following and this is not only a costume but an opinion so show your support by carrying a flag and getting a “Free Britney ” shirt. 

Euphoria

First of all, if you haven’t watched this iconic HBO series yet start after reading this article. If you have seen the show then you know the wide array of cool and fun cast members. Buy a bunch of gems and wear something sparkly or pink and you have yourself a costume.

Dress Like Your Hometown

This costume is fast and easy. Find a local sports shirt lying around or an outfit that accurately represents where you’re from and wear it proudly. Not only is this costume a good conversation starter but it is a good opportunity to go back to your roots!

Risky Business

Drive to your local goodwill or thrift store and buy an oversized button-down shirt and some tube socks and rock this iconic Tom Cruise costume.

60’s Decade Costume

I am not saying this hasn’t been done before because, let’s be honest, it has. But you can still take advantage of this by bringing your own style into it and dressing in some cute vintage clothes. 

I am Sophomore at Elon University, I am from Lower Merion Pennsylvania and love to go to the beach with my family during the summer in New Jersey. My major is psychology and I would love to become a therapist in my future.