Why Pursue a Communications Degree at a Small Liberal Arts College?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

While searching for colleges with good communication programs, small liberal arts colleges get lost in a sea of huge colleges with vast communications programs in metropolitan areas. Before dismissing small liberal arts colleges, consider the many advantages they have to offer. As a communications student, a small liberal arts campus, the small student population gives you more opportunities to get your hands on equipment, build strong connections with faculty members and pursue your personal academic goals. Check out these reasons why to pursue a communications degree at a small liberal arts college:

Tightly-Knit Campus Community

When you step foot on the campus of a large university, it can be overwhelming. Students, buildings, classes, sports teams everywhere. It can be challenging to develop meaningful friendships and pave your own way through college. Small campuses offer comforting familiarity. You’ll pass the same students walking to class and get to know professors after a semester or two. You’ll get to know people all around campus and feel at home throughout your college experience.

Less Competition for Resources

At large schools, it’s often difficult to get your hands on the equipment, courses and leadership roles you want because of the large student population.

“It’s easier to experience more in four years at a small liberal arts school,” said Zach Klinedinst, junior communications major at Elizabethtown College. “I believe in the communications field that’s important because you get four years of using technology, while at bigger schools you don’t get to use the technology until your junior or senior year.”

Students often have to fight for their chance at getting their hands on equipment to complete projects. To help with the competition, large schools often limit access to equipment to upperclassmen.

You’ll also be able to continue your learning outside of the classroom through clubs, organizations and student media groups as a first-year student. You’ll have an easier time pursuing leadership roles at a small school, instead of getting lost in the shuffle.

Individualized Attention & a Personalized Learning Experience

As a communications major at a small school, you’ll have greater flexibility with your schedule. With less students to worry about, your advisor can focus more attention on getting you into the classes you desire. You’ll be able to start taking advanced and project-based courses early on in your college career, instead of waiting to take those hands-on courses as an upperclassman.

“You can get that amazing one on one connection with your professors that you wouldn’t get at a larger school,” said Mary Walsh, senior Communications major at Elizabethtown College. “Because you can get that one on one, you can use them as resources for information about communications and growing in your field.”

The professional world is all about networking, and it’s never too early to get a head start. Building rapports with faculty members during college will give you a head start into the working world after graduation.

Exploration Secondary Areas of Interest

At a liberal arts college, you’re encouraged to break out of your comfort zone and take courses in a variety of disciplines in hopes that you become a well-rounded individual and grow into an educated professional. The liberal arts curriculum allows time for you to pursue other interests to personalize your education. At E-town, you have the ability to pick up a minor, pursue a second major or study abroad while still graduating on time. A small liberal arts school is the perfect setting to combine your interests and undergo the experiences that will best prepare you for the future.

When searching through your list of potential colleges, don’t immediately cross off small liberal arts colleges in favor of large universities. Take your time in the decision making process and get to know the campuses before making your choice. Large programs may be impressive on paper, but, after visiting a small campus community, you may come to realize it’s the better fit.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.