This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

For young adults across the world, the beauty industry has a big impact on what we use and buy on a daily basis. Makeup and skincare brands don’t always manufacture the most safe and eco-friendly products. But, some beauty brands have realized that the way to go is to produce cruelty free merchandise with no artificial chemicals and less wasteful packaging. As consumers, there are also some tips and tricks that can reduce your beauty footprint while not having to sacrifice your favorite makeup, skincare, and hygiene steps in your everyday routine. 

The brand Love Beauty and Planet has created some buzz with all their adorable ads on multiple streaming platforms. All of their bottles are made with post-consumer recycled plastic yet still sport super cute designs that you won’t want to hide. Love Beauty and Planet’s purpose is to create products to enhance natural beauty while making the world a little more sustainable. According to the brand’s website, “Love Beauty and Planet was started by a group of like-minded people who believe that looking good and doing good should go hand-in-hand.” Love Beauty and Planet sell all natural and vegan hair and skin care items at affordable prices. 

Lush is known for their fun and pretty bath bombs, but they are so much more than that and are helping the Earth in the process. Many of us have heard of Lush, but the product range they carry may not be on all of our radars. Many of Lush’s hair and bath products have zero waste as they come in bar form. In addition to hair and bath/shower products, Lush also carries face and body skincare. Under the “Stories” tab of their website, Lush lists great articles to learn more about reducing plastic and packaging, Middle Eastern women and the beauty industry, animal testing, how to treat sunburn, fair trade and other informative topics. UK Youtuber Jean Bookishthoughts gave her top ten favorite Lush products that serves as a great guide for people who are buying from the company for the first time or for Lush lovers who are looking for different products to try out. Lush also has you covered if you’re trying to get into the autumn spirit with super fun Halloween and spooky season bath and shower items. 

Ericka Rodriguez, the founder of the makeup brand Axiology, says, “Makeup shouldn’t just be safe for the people who wear it. It should also be safe for animals, the planet and the people who make it.” Axiology creates beautiful, “100% Evil Free” lipsticks and lip crayons. Axiology is comparable to other higher end brands such as Anastasia Beverly Hills or Too Faced. Each full sized lip product is $30 USD, but Axiology offers a sample size for $2 USD that has four wears to decide if the color and formula are right for you before buying the full size. Axiology is committed to making lipstick that doesn’t harm humans, animals, or the planet. 

The Internet is a great resource to use when researching how to live more sustainably in your daily life, especially where fashion and beauty are concerned. My favorite way to learn about sustainable fashion and beauty is definitely on Youtube. I love seeing how girls not much older and the same age as me are implementing their own versions of sustainability and upcycling in everyday life. This is especially useful for college students who want to help the planet but are on a budget and have limited space and resources available. 

Upcycling is a super fun and cool way to get even more use out of your old beauty containers. Before starting any DIY projects, make sure to clean out the containers fully and let them dry. Cutting off the tops of plastic shampoo and conditioner containers can make super cute makeup brush, pencil or flower holders. Like I mentioned earlier, Love Beauty and Planet bottle are super adorable and would be perfect for this craft. Creams and moisturizers that come in cute little glass tubs are perfect for rings and earrings, paper clips/push pins or small succulents. Old heat protectant spray bottles can be used for homemade room sprays or natural cleaning products. 

Hygiene is also a big part of our beauty routines and shouldn’t be forgotten. Some examples of eco-friendly hygiene products to look for would be bamboo toothbrushes, reusable cotton toner pads, natural deodorant, steel razors and blades and some form of a menstrual cup. These products might be a little more expensive to start off with, but over time they will save you so much money when you don’t have to keep buying and replacing the plastic versions. And for the plastic products you do still have such as razors and toothbrushes, the website Terracycle is a great resource to send in those items to be recycled properly and in an environmentally friendly way. 

Being a little more conscientious about what you buy and who you buy from within the beauty industry can really make a difference in the long run. Companies produce what consumers will buy, so be someone who buys eco-friendly and cruelty free products to the best of your ability. No one is perfect and we will all make mistakes, but every little bit that you try to do helps!  

Lauren Robitaille

Elizabethtown '22

Hi! I'm a junior at Elizabethtown College. I'm majoring in English and minoring in both Women & Gender Studies and Creative Writing. I enjoy reading, drinking excessive amounts of coffee and binging tv show like nobody's business!