This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

On March 4, 2018 the 90th Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, will air on ABC. The Best Picture nominees are wide-ranging in genre, tone and mood, but they are all deserving of the award. While all the films are worth viewing, it is unrealistic to expect everyone to have seen all of them, so I’ve made a little cheat-sheet of all the Best Picture nominees.

For the Hopeless Romantic: “The Shape of Water”

From the always-original creative mind of Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water” is, at its core, a love story between an amphibious creature being held in captivity and a mute woman that works as a janitor in the research facility in which he is being held. As with other Guillermo del Toro works, this movie is gorgeous, having beautiful imagery juxtapose sometimes horrific events. The cast, including Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Shannon, Doug Jones, Richard Jenkins and Michael Stuhlbarg, all contribute amazing performances, as well.

For the Churchill Fanatic: “Darkest Hour”

The story of Winston Churchill’s early days as prime minister, in which he had to decide whether to negotiate with or fight Nazi Germany, are portrayed brilliantly in “Darkest Hour” by Gary Oldman. Directed by Joe Wright and written by Anthony McCarten, this movie shows how a lead actor, a director and a writer can team up to expertly make a biographical film.

For the World War II Buff: “Dunkirk”

Based on the true story of the evacuations of Dunkirk in France during World War II, the film follows characters efforts to get off the beaches of Dunkirk or to get to Dunkirk to help with the evacuation. The film divides into three separate but intertwining stories on land, sea and in air, showing every aspect of the war. “Dunkirk” stands out for its beautiful cinematography and its expert sound editing, having the sound of a ticking clock ever-present to remind audiences that the characters are fighting time.

For Period Drama Aficionados: “Phantom Thread”

The latest work from the highly acclaimed Paul Thomas Anderson, “Phantom Thread”, is about a dressmaker who falls in love with a young woman that inspires his work. Reuniting Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day-Lewis, this movie is just another testament to the talent of these two men, while also introducing the world to the lesser-known Vicky Krieps. The intricacy in which this film was created shows a great love for the project, much like the dressmaker with his gowns.

For Those Inclined to the Darker Side of Human Nature: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

In my experience, people tend to avoid movies with longer, strange-sounding titles, but this film should definitely not be passed over. Telling the story of a mother who, in dealing with grief from the death of her daughter, provokes the police as a result of their inability to catch the murderer, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” is a tense-but-comical character-driven film. The dialogue, written by Martin McDonagh, and the cast, led by Frances McDormand with amazing support from Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Lucas Hedges, Peter Dinklage and Caleb Landry Jones, are what make this film so brilliant.

For the Horror Lover: “Get Out”

Jordan Peele’s first feature film is an extraordinary horror film about Chris, an African-American man, who is going to meet his white girlfriend’s family during a weekend at their home. The simple concept lends itself well to both terrifying and cringe-worthy moments and provides a new take on race today in America, while also being just a really good movie. The cast, particularly the incredibly likable Daniel Kaluuya, is outstanding and help create a very suspenseful and eerie but believable world.

For the Journalism Advocates: “The Post”

Based on the true story of the Washington Post and their battle over whether or not to publish the Pentagon Papers, despite the threat of legal action from the government, “The Post” manages to make complex issues and decisions easy to understand and follow. The film is clearly made by veterans of the industry, with Steven Spielberg directing and Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Bob Odenkirk, David Cross, Bradley Whitford, Bruce Greenwood and Matthew Rhys starring, while also having many standout performances by rising stars, including Michael Stuhlbarg, Sarah Paulson, Jesse Plemons and Alison Brie.

For Those Who Want to See a New Perspective on Love: “Call Me by Your Name”

Based on the novel of the same name, “Call Me by Your Name” tells the story of a young man in Italy who starts a relationship with his father’s research assistant. Starring Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer and Michael Stuhlbarg, this movie is an honest story about love and sexuality with the landscapes of Italy providing the beautiful backdrop.

For Those Who Love a Good Coming-of-Age Story: “Lady Bird”

“Lady Bird”, the first feature film from Greta Gerwig, tells the story of an incredibly average high school senior preparing to go to college and finding her place in the world. The main dynamic in the film, however, is that of the titular Lady Bird, played brilliantly by Saoirse Ronan, and her mother, played with equal skill by Laurie Metcalf. The story is simple in concept but allows for a lot of emotion and truth to be conveyed by all the characters, even the most minor.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.